DS-2CD2342WD with really bad night vision

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does AE mean Automatic Exposure? I don't have that option available. From the manual: "If the camera is equipped with the fixed lens, only Manual is selectable, and the iris mode is not selectable." I don't want to lengthen the exposure time or I won't be able to read license plates during the day due to motion blur. The camera won't let me have different day and night settings if it's in auto switchover mode. A pretty stupid design decision IMO. I've given up trying to read license plates at night. Couldn't find any setting even close to working for that.
I'm confused what your saying,first you say you don't wanna lower the exposure time cuz then you can't read plates. Then you say your given up trying to read plates at night. Maybe I'm reading this wrong or had too many beers. I know with my 2342 their is no way I could read a plate maybe if the camera was a foot from the road.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm confused what your saying,first you say you don't wanna lower the exposure time cuz then you can't read plates. Then you say your given up trying to read plates at night. Maybe I'm reading this wrong or had too many beers. I know with my 2342 their is no way I could read a plate maybe if the camera was a foot from the road.
I probably explained it poorly. Trying again: With my current settings I can read plates clearly during the day. (ROI made this possible, without it there wasn't a chance). When I adjust settings to make the night image better, it messes up the day image and the ability to read the plates. Having given up reading the plates at night, I want to keep the exposure settings optimized for daytime plate reading.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I probably explained it poorly. Trying again: With my current settings I can read plates clearly during the day. (ROI made this possible, without it there wasn't a chance). When I adjust settings to make the night image better, it messes up the day image and the ability to read the plates. Having given up reading the plates at night, I want to keep the exposure settings optimized for daytime plate reading.

Okay I got it, sorry I'm a little slow sometimes, how far away is the camera from the target? Wish I could use roi but I still can't get the hikvision plugins to work I tried chrome,i.e.,Firefox,Mac os...nothing :(

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay I got it, sorry I'm a little slow sometimes, how far away is the camera from the target? Wish I could use roi but I still can't get the hikvision plugins to work I tried chrome,i.e.,Firefox,Mac os...nothing :(
The 6 mm camera is about 6 feet from the side of the driveway, so I guess I'm reading the plates between 10 and 20 feet from the camera. The ROI area being pretty clear establishes what the sensor can do. I'm just peeved that the camera won't let me get the good resolution over the whole frame. If I want to run a sufficiently slow frame rate, it should be able to do good quality compression everywhere, the same as in the ROI area.

The plugins: Another "hair puller" experience. First, be aware that there are 2 different plugins, one for the camera and one for the NVR. With the LTS versions, the names are similar enough that it's easy to assume that they are 2 versions of the same plugin, instead of 2 different ones. I've got them working pretty well now on 2 systems with Firefox. After getting nowhere on the win 7 desktop, I tried them on an xp laptop and they went right in and worked. I did so much fiddling on the 64-bit win 7 system that I honestly don't know what made it work. I installed and uninstalled them multiple times. The breakthrough might have been when I said to activate the plugin with my Maxthon browser, because after that it started working with Firefox. At first it wouldn't work, saying the plugin was old, do I want to load the new one? When I said no to that, it would start working. Tonight, it just works smoothly. I wouldn't be surprised if it works differently tomorrow. I usually use it via virtual host, works the same as direct to the camera. You don't have to log into the NVR to use virtual host. When logged into the nvr you'll notice there's a link to get to each camera. For me, camera 1 is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:65001, where the xxx... is the nvr's IP address. Camera 2 is :65002. You can use those locators to go direct to the cameras without being logged into the nvr.