DS-2CD2387G2-LU - A few questions, any help appreciated

Scottda99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 5 DS-2CD2387G2-LU cams and all working fine with a DS-7616NI-I2. However, I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

I am running the latest firmware on the cams V5.7.14 build 231028

I am looking for a bit of advice on events, basic vs smart if anyone can help.

1 - I have basic events set up and have it configured to record on motion, all working fine. However, all the videos I see allow you to draw the area using a multipoint green box. My cams all only offer the more basic and less accurate red box grid. Am I doing something wrong. I thought all the G2 devices allowed the creation of your monitoring area using the multipoint green user defined shape/area?

2- I only use basic events at the moment. Do I only use smart events if i want to do vehicle detection, face detection, line crossing etc? And if I wanted to do that, do i have both basic and smart enabled at the same time or is that a bit silly as I believe the smart events are to cut down on false positives?

3 - VCA resource. Its current set to monitoring, what does that give me exactly. I know I need to toggle onto the face or vehicle if I want to use that but if I dont, what do I get with Monitoring VCA resource

4 - And lastly, my sister has a similar setup. I installed that myself too. However she has monitors connected directly to the NVR whereas I connect to the NVR with a browser from my main PC. When I look at her playback, it allows you just to play back through motion events and it skips through by itself. Only difference is she is recording 24x7 and I only record on motion and of course I am accessing via browser. Is there a way I can get the playback just to skip through any motion without me having to adjust where I am on the timeline etc. Her setup is far more convenient for playback.

Sorry if they are silly questions, any help or advice really appreciated.
thanks all, super helpful forum here.

Darren.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, all the videos I see allow you to draw the area using a multipoint green box.
This will be directly on the camera, via the camera web GUI.

My cams all only offer the more basic and less accurate red box grid.
I'm guessing you are doing this on the NVR, via the NVR web GUI.
The NVR web GUI camera configuration facilities for convenience provide a subset of all the available camera configuration items, and the ways these are configured depend on how the NVR firmware has implemented the method, and can vary from how it's done on the camera.
The NVR should pass on those configurations to the camera, and that mostly works OK, but it's best to do camera configuration directly on the camera itself, not via the NVR.

You can do this directly on the camera if you use the 'Virtual Host' facility.
Enable this in the NVR web GUI under Configuration | Network | Advanced Settings | Other tab
Then you will see a link to directly the camera in the far right column under System | Camera Management | IP Camera tab.

I believe the smart events are to cut down on false positives?
Depending on the scene(s) in question, Smart Events can really reduce the number of unwanted events such as trees blowing in the wind, rain, snow etc.
Definitely worth setting up.

Is there a way I can get the playback just to skip through any motion without me having to adjust where I am on the timeline etc.
On the NVR web GUI, Playback should already skip from event to event automatically.
What browser are you using?

Her setup is far more convenient for playback.
On the I-series NVRs, there are better Playback options on the VGA/HDMI interface than there are on the web GUI.

Only difference is she is recording 24x7 and I only record on motion and of course I am accessing via browser.
When only recording on motion - you may well miss a wanted event. Event recording is not perfect.
You should consider adding enough storage that you have the history you need, with continuous recording.
And if the location of the NVR makes use of the VGA/HDMI interface impractical, check out the more detailed playback facilities in iVMS-4200 here :

Scottda99

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson, firstly thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Re the monitoring area, I am connecting directly to the cams already via a web session to the cam IP address, but still see red box grid, not the ability to create the green multipoint area?

thanks, will look at setting up the smart events, I presume I disable basic events when done?

Re getting the playback to auto skip now, yes this is working....user error (or stupidness, the jury is out on that one), I think its because as you say the playback is better/simpler on the VGA/HDMI direct connected setup but all ok now, thank you

Looking at getting another 4TB drive as suggested, thanks

So really its just the red grid thing that I am not understanding now, and why I dont get the green multipoint area given they are Gen 2 cams.

thanks again

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So really its just the red grid thing that I am not understanding now, and why I dont get the green multipoint area given they are Gen 2 cams.
Maybe Hikvision have changed the way that works in the newest firmware, I've not used that version.
I have a similar camera DS-2CD2087G2-L with older firmware 5.5.160 and it has the line drawing configuration method for defining the motion detection area.

But even with the small squares method of defining the motion detection area - you can draw multiple continuous or separate areas with quite a good resolution.
I'm surprised you don't find that good enough.

Scottda99

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson, thanks again. Its very odd that I dont see that. To be honest, I'm only raising this for two reasons

1- When I set up my sisters I had the green lines, but I don't
2 - When I was reviewing some YouTube videos, I see people using the green lines to create the area.... I thought I was doing something wrong or was missing something, and hence upgraded my firmware.

What I have today does work, but if there are newer ways of doing something or features my camera has that I am not using, I am always keen to explore to see if i can make it better.

Scottda99

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson - just a quick note. I figured it out in the end as to why I didnt have the green multipoint lines. I had my VCA resource set to monitoring, as soon as I changed that to Smart events i get the green multipoint area now in basic event setup.

thanks
Darren.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured it out in the end as to why I didnt have the green multipoint lines. I had my VCA resource set to monitoring, as soon as I changed that to Smart events i get the green multipoint area now in basic event setup.
That's good, well done for figuring that out!
And for sharing, that could be useful for others with the same question.