DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL not detecting car at night

Reaction score
I have Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL camera.

I setup Intrusion Detect for the street in front of my home with a rectangle surrounding the street in front (but not all the way to the left &right edges).
Target selection: Human Unchecked, Vehicle Unchecked
Threshold: 0
Sensitivity: 100
Target Validity: Basic

During the day, it works well. But in the middle of the night (that is around 01:00 to 4:00 or so), a car will drive by the house and no event is triggered.

For whatever it's worth, here is my video and image current settings as well:
Resolution 5120*1440
Bitrate Type Constant
Video Quality N/A
Frame Rate 15
Max Bitrate 6144
Video Encoding H.265
H.264/5+ OFF
I Frame Interval 15
SVC OFF
Smoothing 50
Brightness 50
Contrast 58
Saturation 50
Sharpness 45
Exposure Settings Fixed 1/60
Backlight Settings BLC Area Area:OFF WDR:OFF HLC: OFF
White Balance AWB1
Image Enhancement Normal/Noise Reduction Level: 40
Gray Scale: [0-255]

Is there any adjustment(s) I can try so that I can detect cars or people crossing in front of my house in the middle of the night?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Video Encoding H.265
H.264/5+ OFF
Did you try H.264 as was suggested to you in your other thread?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At this point we need to see images of the field of view and some sample video.

In many instances, this is the result of trying to do too much with one camera and field of view.

Are you on auto/default settings for things like shutter? If so, that makes the car a blur and AI won't recognize it as a car at night. Or if all it sees is headlights.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I setup Intrusion Detect for the street in front of my home with a rectangle surrounding the street in front (but not all the way to the left &right edges).
Target selection: Human Unchecked, Vehicle Unchecked
Threshold: 0
Sensitivity: 100
Target Validity: Basic
I'm curious why you've unchecked Vehicle if you want to focus on cars passing by.

What did you set for maximum and minimum size, relative to the expected size of a vehicle?

It might be interesting to see what event is being properly detected during the day, could it just be a motion detection?
You will be able to see that in the NVR logs (I'm assuming the camera is recording to an NVR) or by enabling 'Rules' (NVR web interface, Local | Live View Parameters | Rules radio button) so the recorder shows visually what the event actually is. That can be quite informative.

Reaction score
I'm curious why you've unchecked Vehicle if you want to focus on cars passing by.

What did you set for maximum and minimum size, relative to the expected size of a vehicle?

It might be interesting to see what event is being properly detected during the day, could it just be a motion detection?
You will be able to see that in the NVR logs (I'm assuming the camera is recording to an NVR) or by enabling 'Rules' (NVR web interface, Local | Live View Parameters | Rules radio button) so the recorder shows visually what the event actually is. That can be quite informative.
Yesterday morning I changed to H.264, bitrate to 8192 and shutter speed to 1/120. Under Intrusion Detect, I left the original region as-is with nothing checked and added a second nearly identical region with both human and vehicle checked.

I unchecked Vehicle under "Intrusion Detect" as I believed it would give me a better chance of night detection. I thought that the camera might still pick up the motion even if it had trouble identifying it as a vehicle. The min size is very small and the max size is half the entire screen.

During the day, the NVR is showing the vehicle events as vehicle. But last night from (12am to 4am), there were two vehicles passing by. One red car was caught as "event", the other black car was not caught at all. The uncaught car was moving somewhat fast and but you can clearly make it out when viewing the footage so it is not a blur. The headlights are somewhat bright.

At this point, I am not sure what else to try. Would changing Backlight Settings (BLC, WDR, HLC) or White Balance have any effect?