DS-2CD2442FWD-IC Cube - Factory Reset Bricked?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received this camera new and wanted to ensure everything was default so I clicked the reset button within the software. I believe it popped up a window saying it was rebooting which never went away. I watched the camera lights change colors, come back to Blue, and lens close/shut. I found the camera in the SADP software with a new IP (169.254.113.X) or something similar. I changed the computer subnet but couldn't connect. I finally unplugged the device to reboot it and try again. The camera received another IP, 169.254.75.30, and again I changed computer subnet but couldn't connect. I've tried unplugging the camera, holding the reset button in, plugging in the camera, and releasing the button after 10, 15, 30, and 45 seconds, each with no success of connecting to the camera. FWIW - I see no difference in lights on the front when pressing the reset button or not ... it seems to boot the same either way.

All that said, what's up with the device, is it bricked? Am I doing the factory reset wrong? I've tried logging in with the camera connected to the PC directly and also to a switch. I've used IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Pale Moon, each with no success.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you can use SADP to change the camera's IP address and subnet mask to be compatible with your normal network setup. 169.254.x.x is a reserved range for network interfaces to pick an address from when there is no better option (like a DHCP server or a static address). To use it correctly I believe you would need to assign a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Maybe you were putting in something else.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I can see the devices even though they’re on a completely different subnet, I am unable to make any changes to the camera. They say inactive and want me to activate first but when I put a password it tells me error 2015 others or something similar.

I was using a mask of 255.255.255.0 which is what I thought I had for the other camera which worked but will try this mask.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - I tried that subnet mask and had no luck. I'm familiar with 169 being "bad" addresses but thought I'd be able to login as long as I was on the same subnet ... it worked on the other camera.

Following your thoughts around DHCP, I plugged it into the router rather than the switch and the router handed it an address which allowed me to login to! I of course disconnected internet from the router first ... hope this helps somebody else.