DS-2DE4A225IW firmware

wolf8963

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Day,

I recently purchased a hikvision DS-2DE4A225IW that is at firmware version V5.6.14 build 200622 and I would like to update it to V5.7.3_220315, which is apparently the most recent version.

Based on everything I could locate, the firmware download labeled DS-2DE4A225IW-DES6 on the hikvision site should be the correct one. However when I attempted the update, I got an mismatched software error message.

I emailed Hikvision tech support and the initial reply was 'contact an installer', which was singularly unhelpful. When I pressed, they indicated it was there policy not to assist end-users with firmware upgrades as it can brick the camera.

Is the upgrade process really that tricky? Ive certainly upgraded firmware on various devices over the years and in general the manufacturers process is pretty stable. Has anyone had problems with the upgrade process? can anyone provide a link to the correct firmware?

Perhaps I should back up and first address the reasons Im looking to upgrade. Im attempting to solve 2 issues.
1 - motion detect sensitivity - I have motion detect event enabled but am having lots of problems with false detects. I have the sensitivity on the basic event set to zero: if I bring it up even to 20 - the next smallest setting, false detects get really bad - the problem seems to be caused by the IR LEDs attracting bugs, which then fly around the camera and trigger motion detect.

2 - smart tracking - when the camera tracks a car in the parking lot - if it successfully tracks it to a stop, it reverts back to its scheduled position in about 6 seconds, even though I have track set to 180 seconds - if it thinks it lost the car or object (slowly pans back and forth) it does that for the full 3 minutes, then returns to scheduled position. I need to have it stay on the stationary object longer.

If I can solve these 2 problems, I dont need to upgrade firmware

any suggestions?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In all likelihood, a firmware update will not fix your problem, and may create new ones.

That camera is a value series PTZ, so it does not have AI in it, so yeah bugs will be problematic with infrared. For a cheaper price, you would be better off with the $400 49225 that has AI in it that would eliminate the bug issue. But you would have to purchase from that link or you will buy it from a vendor that does not have autotrack on it. @EMPIRETECANDY is the only vendor that still has it with autotrack. Updating the firmware will lose the autotracking.

That is one of the biggest complaints people have about a PTZ - that if the object it is tracking stops, then it isn't moving anymore so it goes back to the preset. Nothing in the settings you can do to fix that.

As you have found out what most of us know, the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind.
  • The Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • The Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that loses autotracking with an update comes to mind.
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes the camera useless.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • A Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1642062778963.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @wolf8963

The firmware V5.6.14 build 200622 you are running is the latest version...

The Hikvision US website is listing incorrect firmware for the DS-2DE4A225IW-DE camera... that camera is the older R7 series camera, but the firmware listed is for the newer E7 series DS-2DE4A225IW-DE(S6) camera...

I did call Hikvision US about the same issue about a month ago... they confirmed the website is listing the wrong firmware... I noticed there are other DS-2DE models with incorrect firmware listed as well.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello again @wolf8963

I just reviewed my post and I see I made mistake.... the latest firmware for your camera is V5.6.18 build 210622.

But I'm a bit confused because I don't see a firmware version V5.6.14 build 200622 (there is a V5.6.14 build 190826).

Can you log into your camera and under "Configuration/System/Systems Settings/Basic Information" check what the "Firmware Version Property" value is? (I expect it is B-R-R7-0)

wolf8963

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello again @wolf8963

I just reviewed my post and I see I made mistake.... the latest firmware for your camera is V5.6.18 build 210622.

But I'm a bit confused because I don't see a firmware version V5.6.14 build 200622 (there is a V5.6.14 build 190826).

Can you log into your camera and under "Configuration/System/Systems Settings/Basic Information" check what the "Firmware Version Property" value is? (I expect it is B-R-R7-0)
Hi Johnfitz and WittaJ,
Wow - 10 times better support here than from Hikvision! Thanks both of you for the responses!

Johnfitz - you are correct on the Firmware Version Property value:
1651116674514.png

Based on both of your replies, I have discarded the idea of upgrading the firmware.

Someone suggested trying a hard reset, but per wittaj, it sounds like the behaviours Im experiencing are not really 'fixable'.
The false event trips I can kinda maybe live with, but the issue with losing a car as soon as it stops really hurts. A person does not even have time to get out of the vehicle before it moves from the target.

Can anyone suggest any strategies for mitigating this effect?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In all likelihood, a firmware update will not fix your problem, and may create new ones.
@wittaj is way more experienced with this stuff and he is right in this case the firmware update will not fix the issues you describe, but I'm sure it will not create new issues as I have it loaded on my DS-2DE4A320IW-DE.

The bottom line is the smart tracking feature just doesn't work as well as I'd hoped... I've attached a document from Hikvision that shows an alternative way to set up smart tracking... I'll add some more information soon but right night its time for some sleep!

Attachments

Flavacali

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Johnfitz and WittaJ,
Wow - 10 times better support here than from Hikvision! Thanks both of you for the responses!

Johnfitz - you are correct on the Firmware Version Property value:
View attachment 126500

Based on both of your replies, I have discarded the idea of upgrading the firmware.

Someone suggested trying a hard reset, but per wittaj, it sounds like the behaviours Im experiencing are not really 'fixable'.
The false event trips I can kinda maybe live with, but the issue with losing a car as soon as it stops really hurts. A person does not even have time to get out of the vehicle before it moves from the target.

Can anyone suggest any strategies for mitigating this effect?
I have the same camera I used Ivs rule trip wire and intrusion box I set my sensitivity to 20 in my driveway about 25 feet from the street. At night make the image a little darker I don't use smart tracking. Had same problem as you took forever to leave certain objects it was tracking. I had the camera In my front yard but it tracked only about 50 percent of the time correctly. I realized the camera had to have a big enough area to track correctly and I placed the camera higher up than before about 10 feet.it tracks about 90 percent correct of the time. As far as tracking then the object stops a the camera going back to it's original position nothing I could do to fix it except use another cheap hikvision camera as a spotter cam.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Good Day,

I recently purchased a hikvision DS-2DE4A225IW that is at firmware ver...
You can get a great deal on Amazon, and other online vendors. The problem is, you do not know if you are getting a genuine Hik product, which has the potential for a myriad of issue including... not being able to upgrade the firmware.

Where did you purchase the camera from?? Was it an authorized Hik re-seller?

wolf8963

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj is way more experienced with this stuff and he is right in this case the firmware update will not fix the issues you describe, but I'm sure it will not create new issues as I have it loaded on my DS-2DE4A320IW-DE.

The bottom line is the smart tracking feature just doesn't work as well as I'd hoped... I've attached a document from Hikvision that shows an alternative way to set up smart tracking... I'll add some more information soon but right night its time for some sleep!
Hi Wija,
Ive been trying to get the 'psuedo' smart-tracking enabled per your document but havent had much luck -
some presets configured
I have smart-tracking duration set to 180
zoom ratio set
I enabled intrusion detection and set an area, and associated it with preset 7 with smart-tracking checked on smart-event

but nothing happens on motion - do you see anything obvious/dumb Im doing wrong?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Wija,
Ive been trying to get the 'psuedo' smart-tracking enabled per your document but havent had much luck -
some presets configured
I have smart-tracking duration set to 180
zoom ratio set
I enabled intrusion detection and set an area, and associated it with preset 7 with smart-tracking checked on smart-event

but nothing happens on motion - do you see anything obvious/dumb Im doing wrong?

Thanks
Are you using a Hikvision PTZ or Dahua PTZ?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using a Hikvision PTZ or Dahua PTZ?
Hikvision DS-2DE4A225IW

but nothing happens on motion
So, if someone enters that detection zone (on preset 7) the camera should start tracking, but the camera must be at preset 7 (for at least a couple of seconds prior) for that to happen.

The Hik document suggests setting up a patrol from one preset to another where you have intrusion detection zones set (with smart tracking), but I do not have mine set up that way.

I use line crossing events on 2 other cameras to send the PTZ to the preset where I think the intruder will show up next (this is a function of the NVR not the camera). I have intrusion detection set up at these presets (on the PTZ) similar to what you describe above. I've read elsewhere that after the PTZ arrives at the preset, it will take a few seconds for the intrusion detection zone to become active (a bug?) so you can miss... therefore, I have the line crossing events on the other cameras far enough away from the PTZ preset to allow for this. It does not always work :( , but I'm still futzing around with it.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try to confirm the detection zone you have set on preset 7 is activating before you look any further...