DS-2DE4A425IW-DE are these still a highly rated PTZ for low light ?

mycatjest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

im getting ready to pull the trigger and buy one of these DS-2DE4A425IW-DE , 25x zoom PTZ, its for a low light , where i do need a decent zoom along with intrusion detection

1/2.8" progressive scan CMOS  Up to 2560 × 1440 resolution  Min. illumination: Color: 0.005 Lux @(F1.6, AGC ON) B/W: 0.001 Lux @(F1.6, AGC ON) 0 Lux with IR  focal length 4.8 mm to 120 mm, 25 × optical , 16 × digital zoom

its replacing a DS-2CD2755FWD-IZS Image Sensor 1/2.9" Progressive Scan CMOS Min. Illumination Color: 0.01 Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON), 0 Lux with IR Color: 0.014 Lux @ (F1.4, AGC ON), 0 Lux
focal length 2.8 to 12 mm ( that is 12 mm)

any body know of any better in the Hik range, i presume i will see a big increase in night time performance, as well as zoom performance

I have had to discount speed domes because of their size, where this is far more discrete,

your thoughts are welcome, but need to stick to hikvsion

Attachments

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the DS-2DE4A225IW-DE and absolutely love it. It surpasses my expectations in the low light scenario that it is being used in. The 25x zoom is also equally as impressive. I also like the smart tracking option. Some say its gimmicky but I find it very useful during line crossing detection. I too am thinking about purchasing a second one and more than likely will get the 4mp

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one of these 4MP cameras and I am very satisfied. I was particular taken by the Smart Tracking capability however, at night spread from car headlights will capture the camera's attention. It then comes to rest off-center. Currently I've turned this feature off though I might revisit the configuration in the future. In the same way people recommend varifocal turrets for their flexibility, I can do the same with my PTZ. Recently I fancied just increasing the elevation a small amount, with a PTZ this was no problem. I did realise that the Smart Tracking could be rather intimidating to innocent visitors like the post, in my view there's no doubt that the camera is following you.

I have seem some descriptions of this camera as a mini PTZ. Yes it is smaller than the big boys' cameras but not quite. Climbing a ladder clutching this PTZ my thoughts were full of "Don't Drop It". It's still a handful.

I've got the 2MP version that I might fit next year unless my Dahua PTZ tracking camera gets priority, (wild life spotting at the rear of the property here).

Last edited:

mycatjest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
many thanks for the feedback, time to buy one , think it will have to be the 4mp as thats i all i can find listed at the mo, same light sensitivity though , and i do need that optical zoom

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be aware that zoomed out (wide angle) the focal length is 4.8mm, which seems normal for this type of camera, and probably appropriate considering where these cameras will be typically installed.