DS-2DE7184-AE IR problem?

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
Got 2 new DS-2DE7184-AE running v5.3.8. One of them the IR does not seem to be working, there does not seem to be any illumination on the image from the IR leds on the camera that is not working even though the IR leds are glowing red. Exact same settings between the two cameras. I have the settings pretty much default except I have Smart IR on. I have toggled it, and it does not seem to make any difference.

I checked both cameras to see if the IR lights are firing on both sides of the camera in the same manner and they are both glowing red. I have toggled day/night mode to force it to switch between the modes and no change.

The attached screenshot on the left is the working IR, and the one of the right is not working IR. The only area slightly lit on the right side of the right image is just lighting from a CFL on a porch not from the IR leds.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm certain it is...but check to make certain that Advanced Configuration > System > Service > Enable IR Light is turned on (checked).

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^If the leds are glowing red like OP said then it's on.

Has the IR filter flipped into night mode?

You can tell if you go out there and shine a light around if it shows up in black and white then the IR filter is off which it should be. If its colour then the IR filter is still in place.

Power cycle the camera (might need to leave it off a bit) and see how you go.

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm certain it is...but check to make certain that Advanced Configuration > System > Service > Enable IR Light is turned on (checked).
thanks for the quick reply.

On this page I have:
Enable Supplement Light

There is no setting here for IR Light

Which I forgot I unchecked on the non-working camera, I checked it off, rebooted camera and it did not make a difference. I have tested the "night mode" during the day to make sure it actually switches to IR (black/white), and that operated as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
^If the leds are glowing red like OP said then it's on.

Has the IR filter flipped into night mode?

You can tell if you go out there and shine a light around if it shows up in black and white then the IR filter is off which it should be. If its colour then the IR filter is still in place.

Power cycle the camera (might need to leave it off a bit) and see how you go.

I just did this test to confirm, it is definitely black & white.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you turned off the cameras for a while?

It does sound very odd how you can see the IR leds on but you can't see anything at all.

How are the settings for exposure and etc? the camera isn't pointed at woop woop is it?

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you turned off the cameras for a while?

It does sound very odd how you can see the IR leds on but you can't see anything at all.

How are the settings for exposure and etc? the camera isn't pointed at woop woop is it?

I have pretty much left the camera on since I plugged it in on Friday, except for a couple reboots and switching between a POE Switch and POE injector it shipped with to see if it made a difference thinking my POE switch may not be outputting enough power, though it did not make a difference. It is presently on the POE injector. Cable run is about 180ft, Cat6 UTP pure copper 23AWG.

I have rotated the camera around, turned on/off exterior lights without a change.

Attached Exposure settings, they are default.
hikvision Exposure settings.JPG

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried playing around in the CLI console via SSH, I see a bunch of IR related commands, tried setting the mode to manual, and setting the Near,Mid,Far IR LEDs to fixed levels, but nothing impacted the image. I am curious about the debug commands but wouldn't know what I am looking for, anyone have any experience with IR-related debug commands and/or IR related CLI commands?

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: After pulling my camera back inside and putting it in a controlled setting, it seemed like only the "far" IR LED's would show any IR on the image at all though it was extremely faint and would not really do much outdoors, I was only abley to achieve this if a put the camera in Manual IR mode and statically set the IR values to Max (100).

I factory rest the camera and it completely fixed the issue. IR shows up bright as day! I had been resetting the camera, but keeping security and ip parameters.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you like the Hikvision PTZ 18 months later? Would you buy it again or get something else? How is the auto tracking on it?

kokokoala

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you like the Hikvision PTZ 18 months later? Would you buy it again or get something else? How is the auto tracking on it?

I haven't set up auto tracking yet. I got that camera replaced under warranty due to the IR problem. Have not had any similar issues with the replacement camera. I like the camera though, works well for what me, would buy it again.