DS-2DE7230IW-AE - For $200.00?

SoloCon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of ordering some cameras for my home and a buddy is offering to sell me a brand new DS-2DE7230IW-AE for $200.00. I have a total of 9 cameras to order and researching information here on the website about what I'm going to need. I understand DS-2DE7230IW-AE is an older camera and I uses h2.64. I plan to use it mainly to record vehicle plates. The house is still being built (already past framing) and I just con't find much info on if this is a good camera over all.

Thoughts?

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's an $800 camera for $200. I'd find a way to make it fit.
H.264 won't impact disk space too much if it's just one 2MP camera.

Please note though that LPR may not be possible 24/7. From my research it requires dedicated LPR cams.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study the LPR subject area of this forum. Capturing license plates is an art more than anything else. The camera needs to be dedicated to doing just that and that alone it can't be a multipurpose use camera. Again study the LPR subject area of this forum.

SoloCon

n3wb
Reaction score
Study the LPR subject area of this forum. Capturing license plates is an art more than anything else. The camera needs to be dedicated to doing just that and that alone it can't be a multipurpose use camera. Again study the LPR subject area of this forum.
I will do, that is my intentions of this cam is just to capture license plates. The other cams will provide surveillance. With that being said, is it worth pulling the trigger on this cam at this price point? I know there are better LPR cam's out there, just trying to figure if it's worth pulling the trigger due to how cheap it is.

Edit: I already bought Blue Iris to do the recording... and just getting it installed and I research the cams to order.

Reaction score
I would buy that PTZ and use it for general purposes than a dedicated LPR. It's too good for being relegated to LPR duty. Though unsure if it has AI or auto-tracking inside of it.