DS-7604NI-K1/4 P in combination with powerline adapter

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning,
I have the DS-7604NI-K1/4 P and one of the camera's is in the addic, ofcourse there is no LAN cable running to that spot so i'm wondering if it's possible to use powerline adaters.
Since the PEO isn't configurable (afaik) would that work ?
So DS-7604NI-K1/4 P -> powerline adapter -> powergrid -> powerline adapter -> POE injector -> camera
Not sure if the DS-7604NI-K1/4 P will be smart enough to turn off the POE for that one channel ?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you could use a power line but you would need a Poe switch to power the cam then the other power line would need to be near the router.
The camera in the attic set up its own IP address and in the nvr on the channel you want too add that camera manually enter that cameras ipaddress

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So DS-7604NI-K1/4 P -> powerline adapter -> powergrid -> powerline adapter -> POE injector -> camera
That would work, a POE injector is ok.
A POE port does not need to be "turned off". If you connect something that requires/asks for POE power like a POE camera, it will provide power. If you connect something that does not require/asks for POE power like a PLC, it will not provide power.

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well i'll give that a try and see if it works. Hope i'm not blowing up the powerline adapters :)

Reaction score
Good morning,
I have the DS-7604NI-K1/4 P and one of the camera's is in the addic, ofcourse there is no LAN cable running to that spot so i'm wondering if it's possible to use powerline adaters.
Since the PEO isn't configurable (afaik) would that work ?
Not sure if the DS-7604NI-K1/4 P will be smart enough to turn off the POE for that one channel ?
Regarding the POE, if there is no camera using the power, nothing is done with it, like a outlet without an appliance connected to it.
The Camera can be powered with a POE injector; you can place it direct near to the camera and run a cable to your switch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the POE, if there is no camera using the power, nothing is done with it, like a outlet without an appliance connected to it. The Camera can be powered with a POE injector; you can place it direct near to the camera and run a cable to your switch.
I totally agree except: ".....you can place it direct near to the camera and run a cable to your switch", shouldn't it be "...to your powerline adapter"?
That is if I understand what the OP wants to do and I understand his schema.

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well so far so good. About the routing of the camera, it runs from the general switch -> powerline adapter -> powergrid -> powerline adapter on the 3th floor -> POE injector -> camera. Working as intended ! I just had to manualy add the camera to the NVR. I used a flat LAN cable underneath a window.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well so far so good. About the routing of the camera, it runs from the general switch -> powerline adapter -> powergrid -> powerline adapter on the 3th floor -> POE injector -> camera. Working as intended ! I just had to manualy add the camera to the NVR. I used a flat LAN cable underneath a window.
Great!

Bear in mind though that if you ever have any issues streaming video, I'd look at that flat LAN cable....the loss of the twisting of the data pairs can allow EMI and RFI to introduce itself, especially if more than just a few feet and/or near devices that tend to radiate the stuff that it is susceptible to.

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great!

Bear in mind though that if you ever have any issues streaming video, I'd look at that flat LAN cable....the loss of the twisting of the data pairs can allow EMI and RFI to introduce itself, especially if more than just a few feet and/or near devices that tend to radiate the stuff that it is susceptible to.
Chances of that happening are slim to none. It's just the piece from the POE injector to the camera, should be roughly 80 cm and since it's in the attic with zero appliances :)
Thanks for the heads up though, i had no idea thos flat cables are sensitive for any kind of radiation :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious....will there be powered equipment in the attic and if so, will that attic be very hot this summer?

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious....will there be powered equipment in the attic and if so, will that attic be very hot this summer?
Define hot, i live in the Netherlands so hot in our terms is like 30 degree's, which doesn't happen to much. (86 fahrenheit i think you guys use ?)
And the only equipment there is a hot water / heating thing.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bear in mind the powerline adaptors can run pretty warm, so the one in the attic may well stall and drop out if the temps get too high. Easy enough to rig up a small 12v fan on a temp controlled switch if you need to tho - something like one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoGuard-Thermostat-Electric-Greenhouse-Conservatory/dp/B00CBUGPS8. Iv'e got a couple that kick the fans into life in the lounge etc, shame the standalone A/C doesn't auto-start on power up as that'd be better, may see if I can mod its control board to do that one day...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Define hot, i live in the Netherlands so hot in our terms is like 30 degree's, which doesn't happen to much. (86 fahrenheit i think you guys use ?)
And the only equipment there is a hot water / heating thing.
You may have to take @Aengus4h 's suggestion if the PLA overheats (which is why I asked about the device ambient temp)...time will tell.