DS-2CD2342WD-I with V5.3.8 build 151224

DS-2CD2042WD-I with V5.3.8 build 151224

Both cameras have the following settings:
Mainstream:
2688x1529
Constant bitrate 6144
H.264+ off
15 FPS with 15 I Frame Interval

When I have these attached I get randomly stuttered video when streaming directly from the camera and the NVR. It doesn't matter what settings I use. I've turned both cameras up to max with constant bitrate and it will stream fine for an hour or two, but the next morning the NVR will have gray screens for both cameras. One camera is about 20 ft away from the NVR, the other about 100 ft. I currently have the NVR set to not record anything.

I thought getting a dedicated NVR would give better performance than this.. Am I doing something wrong?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back to basics... Just connect one camera at a time. Lower the settings and see if it continues. Then work your way back up to see where it goes South

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One of my cameras was stuttering also. I adjusted the rates up and down and it did nothing. What finally did it was switching over to variable bitrate. I noticed that the time stamp was running smooth now. But then I changed it back up to constant bitrate, and guess what, the time stamp was smooth now in constant.

It might not fix your gray screens, but give that a try for the stuttering. Good luck!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course I come home today and everything is operating like normal. Could streaming the video through IE 11 be the problem? The plugin can't handle a stream that size? I didn't realize there is a windows app to stream the cameras. I'm trying out iVMS-4200 now watching two streams at once with both the same (higher than before also) settings. Here's a video of the stream operating correctly:

2688x1520 resolution
bitrate 8192 Kbps constant
20 FPS
I Frame 20
H.264+ Off

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spoke too soon:

When I play this locally there is no "jumping" around, the video simply pauses wherever it starts messing up on youtube. I tried VLC, the iVMS player, and the VSPlayer.

It has also since posting locked up for 5 minutes before it starts streaming again.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I connected my computer to the POE switch on the NVR and connected directly to the camera this morning. I used snaggit to record what I was seeing straight off the monitor instead of exporting a video.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Change your settings to the following (I'm not saying keep them)

1920x1080 resolution
bitrate 4096 Kbps variable
Quality Medium
20 FPS
I Frame 40
H.264+ Off

Re-check and post video or let us know.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I took the ip cameras off of the NVR and attached them directly to my gigabit switch. I powered the cameras with 12v adapters and started streams through both iVMS-4200 and VLC. After about half an hour there haven't been any hickups.

I just found another thread where another user was having similar issues: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10293-Hikvision-DS-7608NI-E2-troubles

Could the 7608NI-E2 just not be fast enough to handle 4mp cameras??

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I took the ip cameras off of the NVR and attached them directly to my gigabit switch. I powered the cameras with 12v adapters and started streams through both iVMS-4200 and VLC. After about half an hour there haven't been any hickups.

I just found another thread where another user was having similar issues: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10293-Hikvision-DS-7608NI-E2-troubles

Could the 7608NI-E2 just not be fast enough to handle 4mp cameras??
The issue is the original cable, this is why I asked you to change those settings. DS-7608NI-E2 can handle 4MP no problems.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's using the original cable. I plugged the other end into my switch instead of the NVR.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Howsabout the one between your NVR and PC?
Are you saying the retail cable between my nvr and the gigabit switch could be the issue?

I now have:

DS-7608NI-E2/8P
DS-2CD2342WD-I x 2 (1 - 2mm, 1 - 4mm)

DS-2CD2042WD-I

Streaming through the NVR with:

1920x1080 resolution
bitrate 4096 Kbps variable
Quality Medium
20 FPS
I Frame 40
H.264+ Off

Capture.PNG

I will monitor and update.

EDIT:

Running at those settings doesn't appear to be a problem, i don't see anything skipping or lagging.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
are those 7608's very loud with POE ?
The fan does make a fair amount of noise. Picture an aftermarket CPU cooler running at full speed. That's with 3 cameras plugged in.

Once i turn the resolution on the three cameras back up to 4mp without adjusting anything else they all start skipping, lagging, not coming up right away (or at all) when opening IE or IVMS. What's the next step to troubleshoot?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok please change to follows:

4MP resolution

bitrate 6144 Kbps variable
Quality Medium
20 FPS
I Frame 40
H.264+ Off

I still think cable but let's see....

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Alright I've changed the values to that, It appears two cameras are not lagging while the original one lags behind. So far the clock will stop for up to 1-2 minutes before the stream starts working again. This camera has two trees and a bush that blow in the wind as well as their shadow on the ground to deal with. The other two cameras face the house and are in the garage so they don't see much movement which could be why they aren't having issues right now.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I replaced the NVR with a DS-7608NI-I2/8P.

Using all the same network cables and setup, hard drives, etc, the stutter/lag issues have gone away.

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you ever do what I mentioned? I was having kind of the same issue with the live view stuttering. I switched over to Variable bit rate and the issue went away. I then switched it back to constant and now it's working just fine. So for me it had to be with the bit rate being stuck or something.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you ever do what I mentioned? I was having kind of the same issue with the live view stuttering. I switched over to Variable bit rate and the issue went away. I then switched it back to constant and now it's working just fine. So for me it had to be with the bit rate being stuck or something.
Yes I did give that a shot, sorry for not responding to you :).

It's been running for about 8 hours now. I've recorded a car coming and going from my driveway without any stuttering!