DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P NVR Issues.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am NOT trying to bash anyone, just telling it like it is.
I bought a used DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P NVR with a 6TB hard drive from B&H Photo. I have 2 Sunba Tech PTZ Poe cameras, 2 Bullet Poe cameras, and 1 Chinese Poe PTZ.
All 5 cameras hooked up to and recording motion only as I wanted. I have also upgraded to the latest 4.5 firmware in the NVR.
I also wanted the PTZ to go to specific Preset potions when one of the Bullets cams saw motion. This is apparently something HIKVISION USE TO DO. But no matter what I tried it would not work.
I am now lead to believe this only works with a smart camera that has line and intrusion detection. My bullets do not, nor am I buying any.
I bought this cause I wanted the built in Poe that had power to spare, and more HD space then I would use, and all my cameras worked with it.
When I emailed Hikvision, they instructed me to go through B&H, as they were the USA authorized tech support dealer.
When I contacted B&H I was informed that Hikvision would not allow tech support because I have bought a "USED" unit???? WTF

I have since contacted Nelly's who seem to feel they can help me out (still waiting on a call back)
I have also informed B&H that I will be sending the NVR back on Monday. (still with in the return window)

Buyer beware.............

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like time for Blue Iris...how much did you pay for the used NVR? You can probably find a cheap refurbished computer to run your 5 cams and Blue Iris cheaper than the NVR unless it was a crazy steal deal.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$550.00
I am familiar with blue iris, I really do not want to go that route due to all the Poe cameras I have.
I did fin if I have a camera with line cross, or perimeter cross detection, what I want to do will work.
Really dumb it will not work from just motion detect.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have 5 cameras. How is going to BI any different than going to an NVR in regards to the POE cameras you have? That is one cheap switch and a cheap computer. It would cost you half of what you just spent on that NVR. And you can use it to spotter cam and move your PTZs....

Last edited:

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Decent computer $300. HD $200 BI $57.99 Poe Switch 8 port 150 watts?

Have figured out that it is a limitation of the cameras, not the NVR.

Just have to find 2 cheap Hikvision compatible bullet cams that have smart detect (Line & Intrusion) and I may have a line on those. (DS-2CD2T35FWD-I5)
This is NOT a high end security system. This is a low end track all the critters roaming around here.
The other (Motion only) bullet cams I can put on the back side of my garage and maybe in the front of the house.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Decent computer $300. HD $200 BI $57.99 Poe Switch 8 port 150 watts?

Have figured out that it is a limitation of the cameras, not the NVR.

Just have to find 2 cheap Hikvision compatible bullet cams that have smart detect (Line & Intrusion) and I may have a line on those. (DS-2CD2T35FWD-I5)
This is NOT a high end security system. This is a low end track all the critters roaming around here.
The other (Motion only) bullet cams I can put on the back side of my garage and maybe in the front of the house.
I call bullcrap. Just admit you don't want the cheaper solution. And then don't complain when it still doesn't work...Or the used NVR craps out in 6 months. At least if a computer components craps out, you can replace just that component.

Another member here just found a 4th generation computer on ebay for $150 with almost 1TB hard drive. Add a $60 8-port POE+ switch and a $60 BI license and call it good. That is all you need since I doubt you are recording 24/7. So $260 versus $550 for a used NVR. Since it isn't for highlevel security, you could add a 6TB lesser grade HDD for $150 so then you are $410, which is still cheaper than $550.

Oh but wait, now you need IVS cameras supposedly to make this NVR work with the cameras you have...

In a quick search, the cheapest I can find for that camera you have a line on is $135 each on ebay or $185 each new on Amazon. So a couple hundred more for more cameras that may or may not solve what you are trying to do...

Blue Iris will work with your existing cameras! Let me repeat, it will work with your existing cameras. I have a Sunba PTZ and it works perfect with my other non IVS cams serving as spotter cams for it.

There is no guarantee that mix-matching camera brands and NVR will work. What if the NVR doesn't like the ONVIF of the Sunba and fails to send the commands from your now new camera purchases. Let's hope for your sake it does work or you will be back complaining that this NVR doesn't work as advertised...and then you will be beyond the return window for the NVR...

For someone that complains about budgets and starts almost every thread asking not to be made fun of your cheap camera selections, you sure are not showing frugal behavior on this final stretch of your system...

Last edited:

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I call it Bull crap.
You are not going to find a GOOD 8 port 150Watt poe switch for that price.
I have worked out a solution for my CHEAPO system that work for me.
Unless you are going to pay for the system for me... kindly keep your opinion's to your self.
I am tires of seeing people on here being bashed for trying to do things on the cheaper route.
NOT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GAURD FORT KNOX

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I am sorry, I didn't realize this was your personal diary LOL :p

I am trying to help you and haven't bashed you from the beginning of your other threads but instead have been offering you solutions on the cheap because I get where you are coming from...you are just too hard headed to realize it and have a preconceived notion that everyone on here bashes anyone that has a different opinion than you....

Not once in any of your other threads have I told you to buy more expensive cameras as some have suggested...and in fact I laid out exactly how you can get what you need for cheaper than you are looking at right now.....but fine I am done trying to help you out...I guess the forum will see your next thread of buyer beware because your more expensive solution didn't work out either....which isn't actually buyer beware but operator error because not many references will tell you it is ok to mix/match camera brands and NVRs....

I have Sunbas and tell you Blue Iris works for exactly what you want to do and you tell me bull crap. Really....

No wait let me give you one more tip, why I do not know since you are clearly ungrateful for free advice, but here is an 8 port POE+ that I have that runs my Sunba PTZs just fine and my other cheaper cams. It isn't 150W but it works and I doubt you need 150W for 5 cameras either. Good enough for the cams you have. Why would you want to spend more on a switch than your cameras cost. Or go with two 4 port POE+ to get to the wattage you think you need. A lot more options than you want to give credit for that are cheaper than the route you are going...but even if you added a 150watt POE+ injector it would still be cheaper.

Just say you don't understand computers and would rather pay more for an NVR solution...because that is what the real issue is...and then accept the limitations that happen when mix-matching your cameras and NVR brands...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.