DS-7716NI-SP/16 users and iVMS-4200

metier

n3wb
Reaction score
We installed a DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR with 15 cameras at a remote location. We are going to be using iVMS-4200 software to access the NVR. My question is how can we use the users that we created in the DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR as the login users in iVMS-4200. We will have multiple machines with iVMS-4200 installed on them, and would rather not have to create the users on each. It appears the username the iVMS-4200 uses has no correlation with the users on the NVR.

Anyway around this? I know I can create the users in one iVMS-4200 and export it and import into other machines, but that doesn't scale very well if we had other users or modify a user.

Thanks in advance

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We installed a DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR with 15 cameras at a remote location. We are going to be using iVMS-4200 software to access the NVR. My question is how can we use the users that we created in the DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR as the login users in iVMS-4200. We will have multiple machines with iVMS-4200 installed on them, and would rather not have to create the users on each. It appears the username the iVMS-4200 uses has no correlation with the users on the NVR.

Anyway around this? I know I can create the users in one iVMS-4200 and export it and import into other machines, but that doesn't scale very well if we had other users or modify a user.

Thanks in advance
The iVMS user account is a local account used to access the controls of iVMS/the whole software interface. You are correct, it has nothing to do with the NVR's users. When you are adding a device to iVMS, that is when you will enter the NVR credentials. That initial login can be anything. I usually just make it admin and a generic but long password so it satisfies the requirements. It's only there to protect the software. So unless you are concerned about malicious intent on any of the computers where you plan to load iVMS onto, set it to auto-login and forget it. Not the greatest security practice in the world from a standards perspective, but as long as you have your user permissions set correctly in the NVR you should be fine.

metier

n3wb
Reaction score
The iVMS user account is a local account used to access the controls of iVMS/the whole software interface. You are correct, it has nothing to do with the NVR's users. When you are adding a device to iVMS, that is when you will enter the NVR credentials. That initial login can be anything. I usually just make it admin and a generic but long password so it satisfies the requirements. It's only there to protect the software. So unless you are concerned about malicious intent on any of the computers where you plan to load iVMS onto, set it to auto-login and forget it. Not the greatest security practice in the world from a standards perspective, but as long as you have your user permissions set correctly in the NVR you should be fine.
Thank you CoreyX64, I can stop beating my head against the wall.