DS-7716NI-SP/16 vs DS-9616NI-ST

havjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Researching Hikvision NVRs (I plan on sticking with Hikvision cameras). I want to make sure I shield my LAN and internet speeds from all the IP camera traffic that will be produced by 16 x 2-4mp cameras. Will the 9616NI pro model help me do this better due to its ability to delegate the switching to a PoE switch? Obviously, the 9616NI is pricier than the 7716NI.

I think I'm fine with the storage limits of the 7716NI, so I would not be choosing the 9616NI to get more storage.
The main thing that will get me to purchase the 9616NI over the 7716NI is its ability to perform better in my ip LAN.
I don't mind paying up for better network performance.
Also, of importance is being able to live view (from within my LAN and remotely from WAN) all 16ch with minimal lag for each camera.

I don't know enough about NVRs and the Plug-N-Play vs the Pro lines to make an informed decision about which would work better for me.
Thanks!

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 7716NI-SP16 with 9 cameras on motion sensing. I have not yet set up my system to tunnel in from the outside.
I see very negligible traffic on my LAN, even if I am viewing 1 camera on a browser. My NVR only goes out to NTP a few times a day.
I don't use the hikvision web site to remote monitor.

Viewing 6 camera's on an iPad is using up to 3 - 5,000Kbps. I also do not have a heavily loaded LAN.

Hope that gives you an idea about bandwidth.
jon

havjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the 7716NI-SP16 with 9 cameras on motion sensing. I have not yet set up my system to tunnel in from the outside.
I see very negligible traffic on my LAN, even if I am viewing 1 camera on a browser. My NVR only goes out to NTP a few times a day.
I don't use the hikvision web site to remote monitor.

Viewing 6 camera's on an iPad is using up to 3 - 5,000Kbps. I also do not have a heavily loaded LAN.

Hope that gives you an idea about bandwidth.
jon
Thanks jon.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to use any of the monitor outputs on the 7716NI to view your cameras, or do you pretty much stick to your tablet for viewing your cameras?

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I review the output, not as often as I should, I usually use the flat screen TV that it is attached to (alternate input).
I occasionally view the output on an iPad or from a browser on a computer located at the other end of the building.
The number I posted was derived from the NVR maintenance page of it's web GUI.

What I have not yet done is set up my iPhone for remote tunnel. From what I've read, there have been some issues with Apple's product in this regard.