DS-7800 NVR static IP setup thru browser

eclypse

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all I have been lurking here for awhile learning all i can in advance of rolling out cameras and NVR at a new home I am building. As a trial run I spent all of Friday installing 4 Hikvision cameras and the NVR at my mothers house. Florida heat in October still makes this a long day especially when your fishing wire in tight spaces. Anywhoo the NVR and cameras are all reachable over the network and while I had some issues with the cameras not coming up I figured it out. I did most of the config thru the browser because we install the NVR in a closet and configuring it in there was a mess.
My problem is that when I try to assign a static IP thru the browser it gives me a parameter error. Does that mean I can only assign the NVR's static IP thru the NVR itself. Mom lives an hour away and I was hoping to tweak the final bits remotely but this has me stumped.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is that when I try to assign a static IP thru the browser it gives me a parameter error. Does that mean I can only assign the NVR's static IP thru the NVR itself.
There should be no problems doing that - presumably configuraing the LAN interface network settings?
Using IE11?
Can you provide some detail of what values you are setting?
Did you modify the default value (probably 192.168.254.1) for the PoE (internal) interface IP address?
Presumably the NVR is currently running via DHCP.
What is the assigned address,and what IP address and gateway address and DNS address are you trying to set?

eclypse

n3wb
Reaction score
alastairstevenson
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct I used IE 11 to configure everything. Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 NVR is set with DHCP and currently using 192.168.0.8. I was going to set the NVR IP address range beyond the scope of the 20 IP's that DHCP is set to assign from the router. I tried 192.168.0.50 and 192.168.0.150 and got the same parameter error.

When I added the cameras thru camera Management > adding method I used manual setting for all the cameras and did have some problems getting them to come up in the live view. After tinkering with it a bit I got them all to work but as you can see with the attached picture one camera is not set to the same IP range the others are, yet it works. All cameras are working using live view and recording as desired. I really don't care if that one camera is off I just want to set up DDNS and without a static IP for the NVR I am not certain how long the port forwarding would work. Most likely until their next power outage :(

I have no setting in the NVR web browser to define the POE internal Interface IP although I do remember seeing it when I did some preliminary setup of the NVR at my house when I installed the Hard Drive.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
as you can see with the attached picture one camera is not set to the same IP range the others are, yet it works.
From your screenshot - all the IP addresses listed are in the same address range.

I should have asked what exact model of NVR you are using, and if it has PoE ports that the cameras are connected to.
From your screenshot, I'm going to guess from the IP addresses assigned that the NVR has 8 PoE ports.

On that assumption -
An NVR with PoE ports has 2 network interfaces, which must be configured with 2 separate ranges of IP addresses. The NVR LAN interface IP address is set to match the LAN it's connected to. The PoE (internal) interface is generally left at the 192.168.254.1 default value.
I'm speculating that you have customised the NVR PoE interface IP address away from its default value to a value in the same range as your LAN addresses.
This will make it impossible to assign to the NVR LAN interface an address in the range of your LAN, as the NVR PoE interface is already using that address range.
An attempt to do so will result in the 'parameter error' that you are seeing.

Suggestion, if my assumption is correct:
Put the NVR PoE interface IP address back to its default value of 192.168.254.1
This can only be done via the VGA/HDMI interface of the NVR.
Cameras connected to channels in Plug&Play mode should follow the address change.
Cameras on channels in Manual mode will likely need to be changed manually.

eclypse

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair,

I did some continued reading last night after you replied to my first message and started reading on the subnets the cameras should be put on. For whatever reason this was the first time it really sunk in. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my messages and help me sort out my issue. You're an asset to this forum!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate the time you took to reply to my messages and help me sort out my issue.
I'm glad to be able to help.
I'm sure the NVR will be fine when you change the network configuration - the issues you may face will be getting the cameras back into their correct network places.
But I'm sure you'll get there.