DS-7800NI-I2/P (& DS-7800NXI-I2/P) Series NVR - incoming bandwidth specs?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's a datasheet showing the specs of the Hikvision DS-7800NI-I2/P NVR models: . The 8 channel model specifically here , 16 channel
I'm particularly interested in the "Incoming Bandwidth" spec of 320Mbps, as I've got a 7608NI-I2/8P which is limited to 80Mbps (i.e. basically 10Mbps per channel if shared evenly.) If the specs are correct upgrading to the 7800 series would give me 40Mbps per channel shared evenly on the 8 channel model or 20Mbps on the 16 channel model?

The reason I'm asking is I've got an 8MP camera on my 7608 and it's more than likely under performing being limited to around 10Mbps- so I'm contemplating upgrading the NVR. I've tried dropping the other channel Mbps to allow >10Mbps for the 8MP camera, but the NVR doesn't seem to like that too much.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are those NVR models available? I can't seem to find anywhere they are for sale...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:) That was going to be my next question. Possibly no stock due to the semiconductor shortages?

I found some old listings on Google last time I searched, but they were no longer available.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure the camera is set to H265+ as it will compress the video more so your 10mbps goes farther. Also check the max bitrate to make sure it is set to the amount wanted. One other setting I would check would be the FPS. Lowering that from the default full frame will help. Variable bitrate will have it use the amount of bandwidth that it needs. Default is on constant.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure the camera is set to H265+ as it will compress the video more so your 10mbps goes farther.
I've experimented with H264+ and H265+ in the past. I've found issues after a while with the picture pixelating/ lose of image clarity. IIRC they recommend only to use those "+" settings with scenes that are usually static and don't have much movement?

I was using variable bit rate and noticed pulsing on the 8MP camera scene at night - about once per second (perhaps involving the iframe rate?) I've since changed it to fixed at 12mbps fixed (the software doesn't seem to accept any higher- even with other channels reduced to allow for more bandwidth) and that isn't happening. With it in variable set to 10mbps the pulsing corresponded with the mbps cycling from ~10mbps to 13mbps.

All of the above probably varies with the version of NVR firmware being used. ;)

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are those NVR models available? I can't seem to find anywhere they are for sale...
Hmm... Another situation where I wish I'd gone with Dahua gear. They've got plenty of NVR's that will do 20Mbps (and higher) per channel. They're even available locally- in Australia - which is unusual for most of the gear I want to buy. Network Recorders

Do Dahua NVR's play nicely with Hikvision cameras? e.g. logging smart alerts etc.