DS-HD1 remains connected to wifi disconnects and immediately reconnects

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed the DS-HD1 about a month ago. I started to setup Zoneminder and then noticed that the doorbell camera would simply disconnect for some reason. I went in to my unify network manager and then realized that it only stays connected for between 5 and six minutes at a time, disconnects and reconnects immediately. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thank you!

Loren

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Also with unifi access points. Did you ever find the solution?

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the answer to this one in another thread...

The camera is trying to ping it's gateway every 5 mins or so. If the ping fails, the camera is assuming something is wrong with the network and is dropping the wifi and rejoining.

In my case, I had not defined a default gateway because I have no desire for my cameras to talk to the outside world. In order to get around this problem, I just put the IP address of another host on my network as the camera's default gateway... this gives the camera something it can successfully ping.

Once I did this, the camera quit dropping the wifi.

imac5107

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the answer to this one in another thread...

The camera is trying to ping it's gateway every 5 mins or so. If the ping fails, the camera is assuming something is wrong with the network and is dropping the wifi and rejoining.

In my case, I had not defined a default gateway because I have no desire for my cameras to talk to the outside world. In order to get around this problem, I just put the IP address of another host on my network as the camera's default gateway... this gives the camera something it can successfully ping.

Once I did this, the camera quit dropping the wifi.
How did you do this? I am currently running into the same issue.

Is this something that you change within your access points or within the router itself? could you post a screen shot?

Thanks in advance,
Imac5107

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you do this? I am currently running into the same issue.

Is this something that you change within your access points or within the router itself? could you post a screen shot?

Thanks in advance,
Imac5107
I did this in my DHCP server... ie. set it so that for the MAC address of the camera, issue w.x.y.z as the gateway where w.x.y.z is the address of another host on my network that is ping'able.

You might be able to do the same thing manually within the camera settings, but I'm not sure.

Your router most likely is also your DHCP server and most routers have the ability to set "reserved" DHCP addresses. Some of those will allow you to specify the specifics for a given MAC address. This will vary by router. My DHCP server is a UNIX host, so I can't really help with the specifics of how to configure it within a store-bought wifi router, but typically if you poke around in the DHCP menu's, you'll see something about reservations.

Hope this helps