DS7608 NVR Dropping Connection

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR with a handful of Hikvision cameras. The cameras remain on the network rock solid but the NVR repeatedly and sporadically drops its connection to the LAN on a frequent basis (every day or so).

I have run out of ideas as to what it could be, so far trying:

1. Upgrade HDD to a WD Purple Drive
  2. Change Router to new one
  3. Change Router to a different model
  4. Removed any Powerline adaptors and installed ethernet direct to router
  5. Restricted DHCP table on router to 50-199 ip address range and assigned NVR an IP address outside of this (in case there were DHCP clashes with the static IP address
  6. Updated firmware to V3.0.22 build 170621

Only way to get the NVR back online after an episode is a hard reset

Any ideas.....or should I give up and get another NVR. If so what would folk recommend? I would be happy with HIKVISION if the NVR worked but am not wedded to them.

Thanks in advance....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas
What shows on the VGA/HDMI interface after the problem starts?
Does the link detect light still show on the router when the problem starts?
Is all the camera and NVR traffic flowing through the router ethernet ports? If so - do you have a switch that they can be connected to instead?
What do the system logs show if anything?
Have you customised any of the port assignments away from the default values?

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks @alastairstevenson. I plugged in a monitor to the VGA port. The NVR was showing the start up wizard (although it has already been setup via web interface). Appart from that nothing unusual.

Not sure what you mean by the link detect light (do you mean the orange/green lights on the ethernet port? if so then yes they are still alight.
The NVR is directly connected via ethernet cable to the router, the cameras are connected via a switch.
The system logs don't provide any particular clue to the issue. They are generally full of "system running". Snap shot of when the NVR dropped offline (@00:28) in screenshot below.

Server Port, HTTP Port and RTSP are all default and uPNP is selected.

Am at a loss...still dropping offline and only fix is a hard reset.

Thanks in advance

1585379928305.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is directly connected via ethernet cable to the router, the cameras are connected via a switch.
Does this mean that the camera traffic to the NVR is passing through the router switch ports?
If so, that can be troublesome and it's good practice to avoid this. It can also affect internet performance.
Suggestion:
Connect the NVR to the switch where the cameras are connected.
Presumably the switch is connected to the router.
Replace the cable from the NVR - it could just be a cabling problem.

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will turn off UPnP.

I have tried several ethernet cables and also direct to router vs via a network switch and neither have improved the problem...

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR with a handful of Hikvision cameras. The cameras remain on the network rock solid but the NVR repeatedly and sporadically drops its connection to the LAN on a frequent basis (every day or so).

I have run out of ideas as to what it could be, so far trying:

1. Upgrade HDD to a WD Purple Drive
  2. Change Router to new one
  3. Change Router to a different model
  4. Removed any Powerline adaptors and installed ethernet direct to router
  5. Restricted DHCP table on router to 50-199 ip address range and assigned NVR an IP address outside of this (in case there were DHCP clashes with the static IP address
  6. Updated firmware to V3.0.22 build 170621

Only way to get the NVR back online after an episode is a hard reset

Any ideas.....or should I give up and get another NVR. If so what would folk recommend? I would be happy with HIKVISION if the NVR worked but am not wedded to them.

Thanks in advance....
Hi There

Are you able to connect the cameras to the NVR POE switch directly? Remember that you may have to re-enrol these cameras as the POE switch on the NVR uses an internal DHCP.

If so, try this and monitor if it.