Dual NIC Set-up issues

JoeSa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

First, I'm very grateful for all the great guidance here. Invaluable, particularly for a non-expert like myself.

On to my problem. I was able to create a new BI set-up with dual NICs and to add a Dahua camera using the IP config tool. I assigned the camera a unique IP address and was able to set-up, see and control in BI. I did all this with both NICs and the camera on the same subnet (192.168.1.XXX). I then changed the IP address for the camera to a different subnet (192.168.9.XXX) and then I changed the subnet for the dedicated NIC connected to the POE switch/cameras to the same subnet. I made the same changes in BI. At this point, I can no longer see the camera in IP Config, web browser or in BI. I tried pinging the address and no response. My BI server sees the NIC and can ping it successfully so I think that part is fine. I tried restarting the router, computer and camera, to no avail. I reset the camera and repeated the whole process (thinking maybe I fat fingered), but same result. I spent hours researching and came up empty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
At a command prompt type: ipconfig and check if the adapters are reflecting the ip addresses you think they should be at.
Also check you have identified the correct NIC and didn't change the wrong one.

Have you restarted the camera after changing the IP address?
can also try: ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew
Otherwise restart the PC after making the changes as a last resort?

In the future set the NIC's to separate subnet's straight out of the gate, ebcause you don't want your computer thinking there are two paths to reach a single subnet.

JoeSa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Tried the above but no luck. If I set the NICs to separate subnets straight out of the gate, how do I communicate with the camera to change the IP address to the subnet of the NIC dedicated to the cameras? The camera will be on the default subnet and the NIC it is connected to will be on a different one. Or am I missing something?

Bobnz

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I did my change-over was as follows:

I already had a distant switch with 5 cams hanging off it - this connected to a closer switch also with 5 cams - this then connected to my original NIC and all worked well.
I then installed the second NIC and assigned its own subnet. I accessed each distant camera and assigned the new subnet (losing contact of course).
I assigned the new subnet to the distant switch, then all of the closer cams and finally the closer switch. Nothing worked which was expected. I then unplugged the closer switch from the original NIC and plugged it into the new NIC. After restarting the PC, all of the cams were discovered and have worked well since.

I am not sure from your description if you also changed your poe switch to the new subnet and suspect that is the problem

JoeSa

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I did my change-over was as follows:

I already had a distant switch with 5 cams hanging off it - this connected to a closer switch also with 5 cams - this then connected to my original NIC and all worked well.
I then installed the second NIC and assigned its own subnet. I accessed each distant camera and assigned the new subnet (losing contact of course).
I assigned the new subnet to the distant switch, then all of the closer cams and finally the closer switch. Nothing worked which was expected. I then unplugged the closer switch from the original NIC and plugged it into the new NIC. After restarting the PC, all of the cams were discovered and have worked well since.

I am not sure from your description if you also changed your poe switch to the new subnet and suspect that is the problem
My switch is unmanaged so I don’t think it has its own ip address. That said, I will try to adapt your methodology to my set up and see if it produces a better result. Thanks for the advice.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have two NICs. I'll refer to them as internet NIC, and camera NIC.
What is the default subnet that your internet NIC is on? (typically 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx)

From there I can guide you through the process.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to release and renew ip on pc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure the subnet mask is the same as the camera on your camera-NIC. If you accidentally fat-fingered either the PC or the cams, that would explain why ping doesn't work.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@JoeSa , @Vini I would discourage having the two NICs have the same IP & subnet, but if either NIC in the diagram was changed to 192.168.2.X then the setup should work without issues.
The camera subnet IS different 172.168 (yes looked very similar), and yes I agree.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see how could be missed. It was actually just an example, thinking about it now, my cams actually ran on 10.0.0.x