Dual sensor/Dome located in weather exposed area

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to replace an existing bullet cam with a dual sensor camera. Camera is located on the side of a house with pretty much 100% exposure to weather.

I have 2 concerns: rain on the dome & glare/reflection from nearby flood lights on neighbors property.

Would a vertically mounted camera with a sun rain shield be better/worse than a bracket holding the camera in a horizontal position? The camera is elevated around 10’ above the ground and I don’t need much vertical viewing angle. The neighbors security lights are a comparable/slightly higher elevation.

I can use external IR illuminators as needed.

anyone have insight on the best approach for mounting orientation and/or product selection?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1661704585522.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

Consider a turret or protect it from the weather.

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

View attachment 138210

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

Consider a turret or protect it from the weather.
Is there a dual sensor turret style body that I’m not aware of? As I’ve been looking, I’ve only seen domes.

I have a PTZ under a soffit. So far there has been minimal rain issues and the lens glare is minor from white light. This new location will definitely get the brunt of weather.

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
This hood looks like it would protect a vertical mounted camera well. I could nest the dahua up in there well as long as IR halo isn’t an issue. I could always run illuminators external.

Not sure how well this would cover over the horizontal wall mount. The mounting arm would require greater clearance between the hood and the camera body, leaving the domes more exposed to weather.

This is the best solution I can think of at the moment. Haven’t seen any multi sensor without a dome.

Attachments