Duhua 4MP TiOC Network Eyeball Camera 2.8mm

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure you test any proposed locations prior to permanent install.
Use a 5gal bucket, 8ft 2x4, and rocks for ballast for a temporary test rig.
If you are concerned about breakin's you need a good monitored alarm system installed.
Cameras are mainly after the fact.
Ring makes one that gets decent reviews. The only thing that Ring makes that is worth a darn.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of the 4mp TIOC 2.8 cams. For my application they work fine, even with the less than optimal sensor to mp ratio. Here's one of the cams in action.

I would try to get a bigger sensor model instead .. 4MP and 1/1.8"

FYI - camera in question ..

4MP TiOC Network Eyeball Camera 2.8mm

• 1/2.7-in. 4MP Progressive-scan CMOS Sensor
  • Triple-stream Encoding
  • AI Coding, Smart H.265+, and Smart H.264+ Video Compression
  • 4MP (2688 x 1520) at 30 fps, 2.8 mm Fixed Lens
  • Analytics+ Functions — Perimeter Protection, Smart Motion Detection+
  • Two (2) Built-in Microphones and a Built-in Speaker
  • Voice Catcher Technology Captures Clear Audio at a Distance
  • Dual Smart Illumination — IR and White Light
  • Active Alarm with Red/Blue Lights and Siren or Voice Prompt
  • Enhanced Starlight Technology for Low-light Applications
  • ArcticPro Series Camera — Operational Down to –40° C (–40° F)
  • IP67 Ingress Protection
  • Five-year Warranty (for products sold through an authorized Dahua dealer)

View attachment 132279

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not necessarily, I found them very reliable. They even have an audio out cable in which you can blare out sound over outdoor speakers for deterrence purposes. You can put this camera along side with another but better camera with better nighttime performance and achieve best of both worlds.

They are mainly a gimmick.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I found the blue and red lights to bounce off the walls very nicely. It depends on placement. Its certainly useless in an open field, but in a tight alley, it gets the job done. I would definitely not recommend this camera as a standalone though. I would put another camera (i.e. 4mp 1/1.8mm sensor) side by side with this one.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them.

I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

You can make it siren or say "You are under surveillance" or add your own audio.

The video quality at night is comparable to any similar camera on same sensor and lens size. The biggest problem is people buy this camera expecting to IDENTIFY at 60 feet and no 2.8mm or 3.6mm will do that.

I can also tell you the white light or red/blue if you get the TIOC version is more gimmicky than anything else outside. Nobody will see it unless they are looking at the camera.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has connected their TIOC (or another Dahua cam) to an exterior siren or a strobe light without going through an NVR? I wouldn't mind having another flashing light to complement the red and blue lights but an wondering if there's a way to connect directly to the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they have the output wires as part of the pigtail, so you can do it as a stand-alone camera.

Just confirm it has those output wires before purchase in the event it has changed from previous models.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, they have the output wires as part of the pigtail, so you can do it as a stand-alone camera.

Just confirm it has those output wires before purchase in the event it has changed from previous models.
Thanks, wittaj. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any thoughts on a particular brand or model that works with this camera. Looking online it's tough to discern whether there are wiring inputs wires or power supply wires.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I have hooked up a couple mics and speakers but not tied to any brand. You need to provide power to the mic and speaker and that can be done a couple of ways. One of my cams had RCA Jack's and the other was just wires. But you can make either work.

If the camera has RCA, you can cut off the RCA to expose the wires or add an RCA to the mic or speaker if needed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The alarm outputs are a dry contact output, normally open I would guess, and are low current rated. Even if they are a positive voltage output, 12VDC most likely in that event, the current will be very limited. You would need an eternal relay to safely power a siren that way.

The speaker output is a low level line output and will need a powered amplifier to be useable.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The alarm outputs are a dry contact output, normally open I would guess, and are low current rated. Even if they are a positive voltage output, 12VDC most likely in that event, the current will be very limited. You would need an eternal relay to safely power a siren that way.

The speaker output is a low level line output and will need a powered amplifier to be useable.
I found this video that shows a someone wiring the output from a TIOC bullet cam to a siren, but that's about it. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to get a Z-wave stick and a z-wave triggered siren and have the siren triggered by BI.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Either way will work and both require hoops to be jumped through. It's just a question of which hoops you'd rather jump through. I usually run an 18/2 or 16/2 cable along with camera cables to provide 12VDC independently of PoE for auxiliary IR so for me supplying additional power to run relays, siren or amplifiers wouldn't be much of a problem. I'm not into the "active deterrence" stuff though, at least not camera based although using the sound of a shotgun racking a round sounds like an interesting idea.