dumping tires

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they had your cameras they would know who did it

Anyone know what "fly-tipping" is?

I do know that old tires that fill up with rain water and become breeding grounds for mosquitoes in the warm weather is a real problem around here and most rural areas. Many people change out their tires themselves, so there's no tire disposal fee charged by a tire dealer and the tires get dumped either illegally or they just remain on private property.

And it's illegal to burn them in most areas as well. I don't know for sure but I think the disposal fee provides for them to be picked up, shredded and recycled, but I don't really know the complete process.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone know what "fly-tipping" is?

I do know that old tires that fill up with rain water and become breeding grounds for mosquitoes in the warm weather is a real problem around here and most rural areas. Many people change out their tires themselves, so there's no tire disposal fee charged by a tire dealer and the tires get dumped either illegally or they just remain on private property.

And it's illegal to burn them in most areas as well. I don't know for sure but I think the disposal fee provides for them to be picked up, shredded and recycled, but I don't really know the complete process.
It's a term meaning "illegal dumping," usually done under cover of night.

Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tires have serial numbers and they are recorded when you buy them. I do not know if that can be tracked in the UK though.
FWIW, nobody around this neck of the woods records or keeps track of them. The distributor may know what dealer he sold specific serial numbers to but I doubt the dealers are keeping track. I've bought a dozen sets in the past 18 years for several vehicles from 2 dealers and no serial numbers are on the invoices.:idk:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The DOT "serial" number is not unique to each tire... It's simply indicates the plant of manufacturer and the week and year of manufacture.
Kind of like the batch number and "use before date" on food-type products and even OTC medications for consumption in case there's an issue ==>> WHAT IS A DOT SERIAL NUMBER? AND WHERE IS IT?WHAT IS A DOT SERIAL NUMBER? AND WHERE IS IT?

Along those lines, one particular dog food manuufacturer has more frequent issues with excessive amounts of vitamin D in their dog food than other producers. I get an e-mail notification and the warning includes where sold, batch number, etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fly-tipping is defined as "the illegal deposit of any waste on to land that does not have a licence to accept it", according to Keep Britain Tidy. The OED points to the term "on the fly" being used around 1851 to mean "on the move". This saying coupled with the act of tipping something out created fly-tipping.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The DOT "serial" number is not unique to each tire... It's simply indicates the plant of manufacturer and the week and year of manufacture.
I found that out during the old Firestone tire-Ford Explorer rollover fiasco. The first generation Explorers came from the factory with Firestone tires and were prone to rolling over. Ford was blaming Firestone and Firestone was blaming Ford. I worked at a Ford dealership service dept back then (still do) when Ford recalled the Explorers equipped with Firestone tires. We had to record all of the DOT code serial numbers for each tire, drill a large hole in the sidewall so it couldn't be reused, then replace it with a Michelin tire. It became obvious pretty quick that the DOT numbers were not unique for each tire, but more of a batch number to identify when and where it was manufactured. That recall was the end of a long relationship between Ford Motor Company and Firestone. That relationship between Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone dated back to 1918!