DVR remote access security questions from a newbie

gonji

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I'd like to setup a CCTV system for my home that I could monitor remotely. What worries me is that it seems relatively easy for someone to gain remote access to my DVR and thus do all kinds of things such as spy on me (obviously), but also use the DVR to perform malicious activity.

I couldn't find any specific information (such as guides) on how to setup a DVR system that would be relatively secure against unauthorized remote access and spying on me.

Could you provide some help in the form of guidance or links to any guides explaining how the securing is done?

I haven't bought anything yet as I'm first trying to figure out how to setup a secure system and then choose a standalone or PC-based DVR (I guess a PC-based one would be more secure as it offers more setup options?).

Thanks

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off UPnP on your router. Don't forward ports to your devices.

You can securely tunnel into your own network by setting up a VPN server.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'd like to setup a CCTV system for my home that I could monitor remotely. What worries me is that it seems relatively easy for someone to gain remote access to my DVR and thus do all kinds of things such as spy on me (obviously), but also use the DVR to perform malicious activity.

I couldn't find any specific information (such as guides) on how to setup a DVR system that would be relatively secure against unauthorized remote access and spying on me.

Could you provide some help in the form of guidance or links to any guides explaining how the securing is done?

I haven't bought anything yet as I'm first trying to figure out how to setup a secure system and then choose a standalone or PC-based DVR (I guess a PC-based one would be more secure as it offers more setup options?).

Thanks
Wiki at the top of the page; there is some info on this in the Cliff notes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro