DVR with PoE or separate PoE/PoE+ switch

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
is it recommended to use a DVR/NVR with PoE capability or get a seperate PoE/PoE+ switch ?

total IP cams won't exceed 16. ~10 outside and ~4 inside.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is totally up to you. If you can run all the cables back to the NVR, then it makes sense to get one with POE capability. If you cannot get them all back to the NVR, then a non-POE makes sense.

Some will suggest that it is better off to get a non-POE so that you can control the POE switch and one less thing for the NVR to have poop out.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This question has come up before and it seems most recommend getting an NVR with integrated POE. Mainly to ensure the cameras are isolated from the local network.

FWIW, I'm grappling with this decision myself. Moving to new house and leaving my old Dahua system behind. I'm currently using two external POE switches with 10 cameras total. It has performed well. The new home will have more cameras, but all will home run to the same closet.

In my installation I've integrated a couple cameras into my home automation. This needs the local network to have access to the cameras' API. But maybe one day I'll need to isolate my cameras using the internal POE method.

Lately I've been learning towards purchasing a Dahua POE NVR (NVR5216-16P-4KS2E)). It will allow me to use external POE switch or the internal POE. It adds to the cost, but not enough to kill the deal for me.

TLDR; Like you, I'm searching for compelling reasons to do one over the other.

- Thomas

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no correct overall answer. If fan noise is an issue, you might be sorry having the built in POE switch. With the integrated POE switch, if the switch part fails you also have to throw away the NVR part, and vice-versa. Depending on your wiring scheme you could be better of using external POE switch(es). On the other hand, with the built in POE switch, setup and troubleshooting is simpler.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can’t think of any real downside with an NVR with built in PoE.
It allows you to use an external switch along side the PoE ports simultaneously, and if the internal PoE takes a shit, you can still use an external switch.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no correct overall answer. If fan noise is an issue, you might be sorry having the built in POE switch. With the integrated POE switch, if the switch part fails you also have to throw away the NVR part, and vice-versa. Depending on your wiring scheme you could be better of using external POE switch(es). On the other hand, with the built in POE switch, setup and troubleshooting is simpler.
Actually I’m using a 5216 16P now that has 8 dead internal ports due to a lightning strike. It was a buddys, I have cameras on some of the remaining good PoE ports and others on an external Netgear switch. The NVR is fine

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey dumb question. I'm slowly losing my technical knowledge to Sumt-heimers...Sometimes i remember shit, sometimes I don't.
If you put all the cams on a POE switch, can you run both Blue Iris and the NVR with streams for both?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One downside: As mentioned in a previous post the Dahua POE NVR's have very noisy fans. Forum users have discussed this in other threads too. This would be a potential problem in an installation like mine. Fan replacement has been suggested as a remedy when the noise is an issue. But I have no experience with Dahua POE NVRs, so this is all hearsay to me.

If you put all the cams on a POE switch, can you run both Blue Iris and the NVR with streams for both?
Using an external POE switch with the NVR and Blue Iris on the same local network should work fine. However I'm not a Blue Iris user so no experience doing this.

- Thomas

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey dumb question. I'm slowly losing my technical knowledge to Sumt-heimers...Sometimes i remember shit, sometimes I don't.
Yes.

The fan noise can be a real issue for home owners, these units are designed and intended for business usage.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
That is totally up to you. If you can run all the cables back to the NVR, then it makes sense to get one with POE capability. If you cannot get them all back to the NVR, then a non-POE makes sense.

Some will suggest that it is better off to get a non-POE so that you can control the POE switch and one less thing for the NVR to have poop out.
thanks for the perspective, it helps!

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
This question has come up before and it seems most recommend getting an NVR with integrated POE. Mainly to ensure the cameras are isolated from the local network.

FWIW, I'm grappling with this decision myself. Moving to new house and leaving my old Dahua system behind. I'm currently using two external POE switches with 10 cameras total. It has performed well. The new home will have more cameras, but all will home run to the same closet.

In my installation I've integrated a couple cameras into my home automation. This needs the local network to have access to the cameras' API. But maybe one day I'll need to isolate my cameras using the internal POE method.

Lately I've been learning towards purchasing a Dahua POE NVR (NVR5216-16P-4KS2E)). It will allow me to use external POE switch or the internal POE. It adds to the cost, but not enough to kill the deal for me.

- Thomas
the way this old house is constructed & where the current LAN equip is, it was too costly & difficult to get all the IP cat6 cables to that room. so some were pulled to another closet that has LAN connectivity. years ago the old analog coax cable was pulled into the LAN equip room when a new roof was added, which made access and drilling through wall studs easy. didn't have that luxury for the cat6 this time.

i too had hoped to have moved to a newer home/state by now but those plans got setback to a holding pattern for now. hence, figured i might as well update my home cam system now as the analog cams/dvr are way outdated now. and too, my knowledge is outdated. lol

your home automation project sounds like an interesting project. so many cool tools (sw & hw) out there now to help & get creative with that .

that is a nice NVR you listed. gonna look closer at that and compare.

if i have to isolate from the LAN i guess i could VLAN on a switch but not an issue right now. looks like we have some good options of one over the other or a combo solution like with that Dahua NVR you listed.

many thanks for your reply & my apologies for my delay in reply.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
another good perspective. leaning towards using both, get a NVR+PoE that allows an external PoE switch too. have some more comparing to do but after reading @ThomasCamFan's post i'm leaning that way. seems quite flexible but i'll see.

thanks for your help.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
It allows you to use an external switch along side the PoE ports simultaneously, and if the internal PoE takes a shit, you can still use an external switch.
+++! i had not known this before. thankful for your post and others who have mentioned it.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score

- Thomas
Actually I’m using a 5216 16P now that has 8 dead internal ports due to a lightning strike. It was a buddys, I have cameras on some of the remaining good PoE ports and others on an external Netgear switch. The NVR is fine
+++

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The whole purpose of an NVR for me was because it is an 'all-in-one' unit with the POE switch and small form factor.

If you got with an external switch, then you might as well treat yourself to a VMS.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
The whole purpose of an NVR for me was because it is an 'all-in-one' unit with the POE switch and small form factor.

If you got with an external switch, then you might as well treat yourself to a VMS.
doesn't your NVR have much of the same functionality of a basic VMS, for home use? theNVR will have an interface (an app or web access) for retrieving-viewing your recorded & live surveillance footage, yes?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
doesn't your NVR have much of the same functionality of a basic VMS, for home use? theNVR will have an interface (an app or web access) for retrieving-viewing your recorded & live surveillance footage, yes?
Many here will say a VMS like Blue Iris blows away the functionality of an NVR. There are way more options and possibilities.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My current NVR (NVR5216-16P-I) does have good analytics for most home users.
It does the job! Live view, recordings, IVS recordings and mobile alerts.
and these days the really basic Lorex (Dahua OEM) have some analytics on the cameras and the NVR supports linking them together.

I got this NVR for the price of a 12Tb Skyhawk HDD... and it included two 6TB Skyhawks with it lol. I scored well on that deal (it was a demo unit at a cctv company).
Brand new, this NVR is well over $2,000 NZ.
At retail price, I would have just gone with a VMS. You can build a magnificent VMS machine for $1,000 and it would have far more powerful analytics.

Not to say that NVR's don't have their place:
If you are the average user who want's an 'all-in-one' unit and doesn't mind that 'what you get, is all that you will get'. Then an NVR is fine for you.

A VMS is ideally the ultimate solution, but it does take some tinkering beyond the average person's ability.
Heck, there are people who are so un-tech-savy that they settle for Ring.
So an NVR is a technical level between those two (IMO).

The power of Blue Iris (and other VMS's like Milesight) is that it is flexible, It can be updated, there can be plugins (e.g. text messaging) and it accepts many brands/generic cameras.
Best part of a VMS is that the amount of analytics done is only limited by the power of the computer it runs on. That usually means upgrading a component in the computer when needed. Far more flexible and upgradeable.

Many here will say a VMS like Blue Iris blows away the functionality of an NVR. There are way more options and possibilities.
So absolutely correct response you got 26vLHz.
Choose your level.
Cost factor between the two my vary, but a VMS is probably cheaper in the long run (in terms of upgradability and used business PC's are cheap).

^my 2 cents worth of opinion.