Early morning foot traffic...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Brrrrrrrrrrr made me shrink up just looking at it.

Your neighbors are pretty backlit because of that pole light, any chance of more light facing the street or have you tried backlight?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A perfect example of the old globe lights many cities are putting in "revitalized" downtown areas to bring back the nostalgia and encourage foot traffic, shopping, dining, etc. They put light in your face and eyes instead of DOWN ON the roadway and/or sidewalk, your iris closes up and poof...the reason for the lighting in the first place is diminished because of the direct lamp-to-eyeball glare.

And that's why they went away and were replaced with cutoff-style lighting fixtures mounted at 30+ feet to, again, put the light down where it belongs so it will bounce off the objects in the roadway or on the sidewalk and proceed indirectly to your eyes....lamp-to-object-to-eye.

They redeveloped an area in the city I worked for in N. CA. and I hated them.....useless. Pretty but expensive to purchase and maintain....they are for looks, not function.

Whew! I feel better already. :lol:

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to mention that many municipalities are starting to put restrictions on the types of lights use because of the light "pollution" they create. I have to agree actually with this concept. Having light fixtures that are designed to put the light where it is desired, and not where it is not designed (like pointing up in the sky) is definitely needed. The fact that 80% of the US population can't see more than about .001% of the stars in the night sky due to light pollution is pretty sad.....

Reaction score
A perfect example of why the old globe lights many cities are putting in "revitalized" downtown areas to bring back the nostalgia and encourage foot traffic, shopping, dining, etc. TheyHere put light in your face and eyes instead of DOWN ON the roadway and/or sidewalk, your iris closes up and poof...the reason for the lighting in the first place is diminished because of the direct lamp-to-eyeball glare.

And that's why they went away and were replaced with cutoff-style lighting fixtures mounted at 30+ feet to, again, put the light down where it belongs so it will bounce off the objects in the roadway or on the sidewalk and proceed indirectly to your eyes....lamp-to-object-to-eye.

They redeveloped an area in the city I worked for in N. CA. and I hated them.....useless. Pretty but expensive to purchase and maintain....they are for looks, not function.

Whew! I feel better already. :lol:
Yup-- that glob of light at night restricts the view I get of cops going into the apartments down the block.
Here is that light in the daytime. This is on my ptz.

1675711875234.png

these WERE high-pressure sodium with that wonderful orange light...LOL... they were replaced with these bright white LED lights a few years ago.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yup-- that glob of light at night restricts the view I get of cops going into the apartments down the block.
Here is that light in the daytime. This is on my ptz.

View attachment 153372

these WERE high-pressure sodium with that wonderful orange light...LOL... they were replaced with these bright white LED lights a few years ago.
Yep, energy efficient but 3/4 of the light is going where it's not needed...but they're "quaint" and "nostalgic"...:confused:

Reaction score
Yep, energy efficient but 3/4 of the light is going where it's not needed...but they're "quaint" and "nostalgic"...:confused:
Here is preset 2 on that ptz looking WSW. The next street light is down the block 200 feet or so at the top of the pic. I don't mind these lights at all, as they put enough light to the sides to illuminate houses, driveways, etc. and let me run color all night. This PTZ at 2mp gives me the best images of any cam I have, with exceptional video as well. In summer when the leaves have filled the trees, that whole yard in the upper right is in some pretty deep shadows.

1675749580051.png

Reaction score
Here is preset 2 on that ptz looking WSW. The next street light is down the block 200 feet or so at the top of the pic. I don't mind these lights at all, as they put enough light to the sides to illuminate houses, driveways, etc. and let me run color all night. This PTZ at 2mp gives me the best images of any cam I have, with exceptional video as well. In summer when the leaves have filled the trees, that whole yard in the upper right is in some pretty deep shadows.

View attachment 153487
Yes I love my 2, sd 49225XA 2mp PTZ's. I used mine for a while as a license plate reader, until i purchased 4, 5241E-Z12E to capture license plates.