Easiest way to wire an outdoor cam to 120V power from flood light?

jghf

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two Ring Floodlight cams that are sometimes decent but overall the experience is horrible as they take minutes to wake up so I can see what's going on. I already have a Blue Iris setup for my other cameras that works perfectly but I don't have any way to run Ethernet to the rear of my house, which is where I have two Ring Floodlight cameras.

My question is if I just get Wifi cameras for those locations, what's the easiest way to power them from the 120V lines that are already there? The Ring Floodlight hooks directly up to that which is awesome, but I can't find any ONVIF cameras that can be powered directly from that. To be clear I don't need the flood lights or I can easily install that above the camera, I just need a way to power say a Dahua Starlight cam from the 120V. Or if I'm thinking about this all wrong please set me straight. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two Ring Floodlight cams that are sometimes decent but overall the experience is horrible as they take minutes to wake up so I can see what's going on. I already have a Blue Iris setup for my other cameras that works perfectly but I don't have any way to run Ethernet to the rear of my house, which is where I have two Ring Floodlight cameras.

My question is if I just get Wifi cameras for those locations, what's the easiest way to power them from the 120V lines that are already there? The Ring Floodlight hooks directly up to that which is awesome, but I can't find any ONVIF cameras that can be powered directly from that. To be clear I don't need the flood lights or I can easily install that above the camera, I just need a way to power say a Dahua Starlight cam from the 120V. Or if I'm thinking about this all wrong please set me straight. Thanks!
Welcome @jghf

Do you own the house?

If so, your best option is to do it right and run cat6/cat5e cables to appropriate locations for a good IP PoE system setup.

Just too many issues with WiFi and attempting to get the cameras powered from flood light locations or other exterior outlets.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Wire new outlet(s) near the location using the 120v line, then use any 12 volt power supply (such as a wall wart capable of at least 1 amp output) with a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connector to power the cameras. The same outlets can power a switch + wifi access point if needed.

Reaction score
Wire new outlet(s) near the location using the 120v line, then use any 12 volt power supply (such as a wall wart capable of at least 1 amp output) with a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connector to power the cameras. The same outlets can power a switch + wifi access point if needed.
What @bp2008 said. Especially if you have access to the inside of the wall, such as in a garage or attic. Install a shelf/board/brackets on the 2x4 studs, and wire a 110VAC (220VAC?) power outlet next to it. Install a POE switch to power the camera over Ethernet, so you only have a single cable connected to the camera, or use a 12VDC wall-wart to power the camera and a regular Cat5e/Cat6 ethernet cable for data. The benefit of the $40/$50 POE switch is two-fold: a) single cable to camera, and b) can power three more cameras if necessary.

jghf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the great ideas, I will go ahead and wire up an outlet next to the cameras!