Easiest ways to view BI on remote monitors inside home?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering how you all go about viewing BI remotely on home monitors? I have my surveillance server and main monitor up in my office, but I would like to have a low profile wall panel downstairs with cameras on it. How do you guys go about doing this? Same with TV's in the house, how do you view?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any android tablet and display the UI3.

On a TV either with a chrome stick or if the TV supports a web browser and pull up UI3

Simply open browser and type in IP address of your BI computer followed by :81 and then type in user and password.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got 4 Fire 10s going for BI cams and 2 Fire 8s going for weather stuff pulled through BI. Every one of them is Amazon Renewed and I have no issues with them whatsoever.

Any issues leaving those 10's on 24/7?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what weather app do you use? Did you run the power cable behind the wall? Or is it just hanging down plugged in

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Weather app? On my BI box, I use Siteshoter in three instances to grab a page from 3 different sites every five minutes. I use BI to grab those pages and set each one of them up as a "camera" using Screen capture as the Device type (Blackness Primary). That way I can fullscreen an active weather map on one tablet and a different 7 day forecast on each of two other tablets, all as overlays from the screenshots that Siteshoter gives me. Now it's just a simple UI3 thing.

I have all my tablets "strategically placed" to show as little power cable as possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can also have an animated GIF or PNG image as a camera in Blue Iris, such as the weather radar loop of your region.

1. Go to Maps Catalog and from the drop-down, select your city/state.
2. Then below the map click on "Start Animation".
3. On the map image right-click and from the context menu that comes up left-click to select "Copy image address."
4. Paste it in Notepad so you can work with it before putting into Blue Iris.
FWIW, The link for Dayton, OH is here ==>> 5. Create a new network camera in BI and set it up as in the image below.
6. Under BI's "Camera settings" => "Video" tab, set the "Max rate" to 12.00 seconds, as the animated loop is about 8 seconds.

If you use BI Tools to place any weather info on the camera display by using BI's macros, you can do that as well, as it is like a live cam!

BI_animated_radar_Dayton-OH.jpg

This is a screenshot of a BI cam using the above radar loop URL. Note the BI Tools macro for temperature shown in red at lower left.

Dayton-OH.jpg

Last edited:

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can also have an animated GIF or PNG image as a camera in Blue Iris, such as the weather radar loop of your region.

1. Go to Maps Catalog and from the drop-down, select your city/state.
2. Then below the map click on "Start Animation".
3. On the map image right-click and from the context menu that comes up left-click to select "Copy image address."
4. Paste it in Notepad so you can work with it before putting into Blue Iris.
FWIW, The link for Dayton, OH is here ==>> 5. Create a new network camera in BI and set it up as in the image below.
6. Under BI's "Camera settings" => "Video" tab, set the "Max rate" to 12.00 seconds, as the animated loop is about 8 seconds.

If you use BI Tools to place any weather info on the camera display by using BI's macros, you can do that as well, as it is like a live cam!

View attachment 158231

This is a screenshot of a BI cam using the above radar loop URL. Note the BI Tools macro for temperature shown in red at lower left.

View attachment 158233
This is awesome. Is there any reason why you couldn't point it at, say, an Amazon product page, set a motion detection zone on the price, set an alert on it, to make a price watcher?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
? We aren't. This discussion has been almost exclusively about running UI3 on the tablet viewing Blue Iris from it's computer via a browser and the best way to get certain "cams" on it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is awesome. Is there any reason why you couldn't point it at, say, an Amazon product page, set a motion detection zone on the price, set an alert on it, to make a price watcher?
You can and maybe detect a change in a zone of that image.

Go to my post here and toward the bottom under "Another Use Case" I streamed a live Map of Power Outages that I looked at with Blue Iris to detect such activity on a map in real time ==>> How I streamed a live YouTube video to Blue Iris 5.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have several Amazon Fire Tablets that are exclusively showing the BI UI3 on them 24/7. The models I use (a 10" and a 7") both had wireless docks available which I am using to set them on. They work really well and allow a person to easily pick up the tablet for a "closer look" if they need to, but keep the tablet constantly charged as well. One tablet (10") sits on a sofa table in our Den right at the doorway to the kitchen (it's the most traveled location in the whole house) making it very convenient to access. The other tablet sits in the Sunroom because it is off in a far corner of the house and having the tablet there makes it easy to see who is in the driveway or coming to the door, etc, etc.

I think the Amazon Fire Tablets or other "cheap" Android tablets are a perfect device for this type of dedicated use.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, I do run a Keep-Alive program on them to keep them from sleeping
My AMZN tablet occasionally drops the UI3 connection and then goes to sleep, or else goes to sleep and then drops the UI3.. What are you running for a keep-alive program?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My AMZN tablet occasionally drops the UI3 connection and then goes to sleep, or else goes to sleep and then drops the UI3.. What are you running for a keep-alive program?
Have you tried changing in UI3 at the 3 dots upper right => "UI Settings" => "General Settings" => "Idle Timeout", set to 0 (zero) to disable?