Easiest ways to view BI on remote monitors inside home?

Reaction score
Is it possible to have fire tablets boot up to UI3 in full screen kiosk mode?

I know little about android OS so have been using Win 10 tablets but the fire’s are cheaper.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Fire OS is always a mystery to me. Luckily after much effort I can usually locate the icon for the Silk browser to get the UI3 to open. The Fire OS is not very intuitive.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Me too. Can't ever remember how things work when I pick them up.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I know little about android OS so have been using Win 10 tablets but the fire’s are cheaper.
I bookmarked this but never bothered trying it out.

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Fire OS is always a mystery to me. Luckily after much effort I can usually locate the icon for the Silk browser to get the UI3 to open. The Fire OS is not very intuitive.
Drag Silk up to the top of the list on your home screen.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't know. Mine have all worked fine after doing that. :idk:

I keep thinking I'll put Fully Kiosk on one of mine to see how that works.

Reaction score
These are increasingly difficult to find on Ebay, but if you can find them they are great for UI3. They are wall mounted PC's from iBase Technology (UPC-6210-I25/J19).
They have 21.5" touchscreens and three of mine have low power Intel Atom E3825's, and two have Celeron J1900's. They work well enough although
they can be slow for updates and general computing. They also have fairly heavy metal cases and thick, shiny glass faces which show smudges.
In general they are used throughout the house for UI3, as the interface to Home Assistant and Rune Audio, and SIP video intercoms. (can is for scale):

1680985162564.png

1680985374314.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a UI3 setting to automatically select the cam to display when an alert happens. For example...if you have 10 cams displayed then the cam for your driveway triggers an alert can UI3 automatically select the driveway cam to display exclusively on the entire Android tablet screen for 20 seconds or until a different cam triggers maybe 10 seconds later?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
@Sybertiger Lower right corner of UI3, enable "Auto Maximize". You do that with a long press. View attachment 159546
Thanks! I also just noticed in the UI3 settings there is the Auto Maximize. I guess I just didn't know what it was called so wasn't sure what I was looking for...LOL!

1681052016458.png

1681052065151.png

Also, I came across THIS THREAD that may be of help.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score

Me too. Can't ever remember how things work when I pick them up.
I forgot to mention that I use a set of scripts/tweaks called "Fire Toolbox" to customize my Fire Tablet. This is a gui based program that allows you to customize your Fire Tablet. I remove all the Amazon bloat (including lock screen ads - just in case the device sleeps for some reason), add Google Services (so I can download apps from the Google store), and change the launcher from the Amazon crap to a normal launcher. This way if the UI closes out, it returns to a custom desktop that only shows a couple of frequently used shortcuts. Obviously the BI app or a browser shortcut that automatically opens the BI UI3 interface are included.

This script does not require that you root your Fire Table device, and it also provides a way to reverse any of the changes that you made. Alternatively a full factory "reset" (from the settings) of the tablet will remove all the changes as well - along with all your apps and data.

I've used it for years and it certainly makes the Fire Tablets much easier to work with.

Last edited:

Crest6010

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just sharing what I use at my home. I have a micro PC with UI3 running and since i have ethernet ports to all of my TVs in the house I use an HDMI over IP transmitter with receivers at each TV to share what's on the micro PC screen

Reaction score
Slightly related thread with good information and ideas:

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of their fire tablets mounted? I just wanna see the setup lol

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thread. I relatively new to to all this. But, as I learned in this thread--I could put to use an old Fire 7 as an monitor. Works great.

Thanks all for the great information.

brcarls

n3wb
Reaction score
Until about 5 years ago I used to use old phones and tablet as others are saying in this thread... But I had a tablet's battery swell up and get very hot and an old phone swell up and start smoking.
Maybe just bad luck, but now I'm gunshy (and won't leave anything charging unattended now :) ).

Now I use firesticks to display UI3 24x7 on computer monitors or TVs.

The ironic thing is that it is hard to find small cheap monitors new these days, but you can score them for free sometimes when offices are upgrading and scrapping ancient computers.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also have an animated GIF or PNG image as a camera in Blue Iris, such as the weather radar loop of your region.

1. Go to Maps Catalog and from the drop-down, select your city/state.
2. Then below the map click on "Start Animation".
3. On the map image right-click and from the context menu that comes up left-click to select "Copy image address."
4. Paste it in Notepad so you can work with it before putting into Blue Iris.
FWIW, The link for Dayton, OH is here ==>> 5. Create a new network camera in BI and set it up as in the image below.
6. Under BI's "Camera settings" => "Video" tab, set the "Max rate" to 12.00 seconds, as the animated loop is about 8 seconds.

If you use BI Tools to place any weather info on the camera display by using BI's macros, you can do that as well, as it is like a live cam!

View attachment 158231

This is a screenshot of a BI cam using the above radar loop URL. Note the BI Tools macro for temperature shown in red at lower left.

View attachment 158233
This is a great idea!

Would be really cool to pair with a camera aiming at the sky/trees to look at weather