Edge Vector motion sensor algorithm settings

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm testing out the new Edge Vector motion sensor algorithm. I made clones of all my existing cameras. On the cloned cameras, the only thing I changed was setting the motion sensor algorithm to Edge Vector from Simple. With Edge Vector I'm missing people walking, cars, animals etc. Are any of you having the same results? If not, what other changes did you make in order to get it to work reliably? Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
seems to be a work in progress
Contacted support and Ken said to disable "Cancel Shadows" and decrease the Contrast to help. See his response below...

With this new algorithm, you should uncheck "cancel shadows" if that was checked. Also, most sensitivity for the detector will help. The algorithm is all about consistency linear motion. If you have more random motion you want to capture, you may need to retain use of "simple".

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for contacting him! Trying it today. He's added the Edge Vector description to the help file, but this info about turning off cancel shadows is missing. Maybe suggest he adds it to the help file?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Turned off cancel shadows, contrast is set to the minimum (12 or 13), and it still didn't detect my car going from zone A to B (driveway to road).

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you record the screen with test mode enabled on the recording?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Turned off cancel shadows, contrast is set to the minimum (12 or 13), and it still didn't detect my car going from zone A to B (driveway to road).
Same here, no improvement.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I'm finding, is the edge vector doesn't work well with zone crossing.

My driveway is zone A. The sidewalk, boulevard and road are zone B. I had a 1 pixel gap between A & B, and had zone G covering everything for tracking through the gap. I had 'object crosses zones' set to A-B, so that anything leaving or entering my driveway would trigger. Once I changed the motion sensing to edge vector, it was missing half the motion, even with contrast set to the most sensitive at 12, object size 250 (pretty small), object moves 250, and a make time of 0.3s.

I have now set the object crosses zones to just A. I also increased the make time to 1.0s, and increased object moves to 350. This now causes any directional motion on my entire driveway to trigger. I'll now have to wait for a partly sunny day with fast moving clouds to see what happens, and maybe increase the object moves distance.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What I'm finding, is the edge vector doesn't work well with zone crossing.

My driveway is zone A. The sidewalk, boulevard and road are zone B. I had a 1 pixel gap between A & B, and had zone G covering everything for tracking through the gap. I had 'object crosses zones' set to A-B, so that anything leaving or entering my driveway would trigger. Once I changed the motion sensing to edge vector, it was missing half the motion, even with contrast set to the most sensitive at 12, object size 250 (pretty small), object moves 250, and a make time of 0.3s.

I have now set the object crosses zones to just A. I also increased the make time to 1.0s, and increased object moves to 350. This now causes any directional motion on my entire driveway to trigger. I'll now have to wait for a partly sunny day with fast moving clouds to see what happens, and maybe increase the object moves distance.
Great info! I'll give this a shot and see how it works.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm getting lots of false positives today with tree/leaf shadows & wind, but it's at least catching cars coming in/out of the driveway. Once I'm home I'll try increasing the object moves distance.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Updated to your settings above and triggers have been excellent. I also have sun/shade tree issues but it wasn't windy today. Let's keep working on this and see how things can be further improved.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've changed the 'object moves' to 500. We'll see how that goes.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It missed my wife's white car pulling into the driveway last night at dusk. I changed the make time back to 0.5s.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder if I should try turning off 'object size exceeds'. Although I have it set to 67%, and her car would only be filling 25-30% of the pixels.

Earlier in the week when I had zones A & B, a clip that missed her car backing out of the driveway, when I ran it through the test mode, it showed motion boxes on the entire car in zone A, but when the car hit zone B, all the boxes disappeared. Motion boxes didn't reappear until the car was fully on the road and driving off. I should have changed things and retested on that clip. I'll do that, but it won't be until Monday afternoon when I'm home, it's Thanksgiving weekend here and we're off to the cottage.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to try turning off "object size exceeds" as a test. It's interesting that I don't have the "use zones and hotspot" selected. It must still be using Zone A to trigger. Zone A has the entire view selected.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may just be doing object travels 350, on the whole screen, and it's a coincidence that you have zone A the entire view.