• Hikvision 2347 Colorvu

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Dahua 5442 Starlight

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So my order is cancelled because supplier got defective cams. Gotta reorder. Noticed the Colorvu from Hikvision. Is it better than 5442 for this (see attached)?
Btw picture is from crappy Wyze cam mounted on soffit.

I'd be looking at a 3.6mm or 4mm and turned more to the right to catch cars better. Lighting will be improved here soon but expect low light performance still top priority.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There aren’t many that have both. I like my 5442.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ColorVu from Hikvision is very similar to the 5442TM-AS-LED from Dahua. The ColorVu has a lens with a bigger aperture but IMO its similar in the sense that in dark scenes like you have, both cameras will turn on their built-in LED lights. So if you want a camera with a built-in floodlight that will brighten up your driveway at night, either the ColorVu or 5442TM-AS-LED are likely to work OK here. If you want a traditional IR camera that won't look like a floodlight, the regular 5442 should work. I don't think Hikvision has a model in the same price range as the regular 5442.

Also, if you haven't seen this thread:
Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ColorVu from Hikvision is very similar to the 5442TM-AS-LED from Dahua. The ColorVu has a lens with a bigger aperture but IMO its similar in the sense that in dark scenes like you have, both cameras will turn on their built-in LED lights. So if you want a camera with a built-in floodlight that will brighten up your driveway at night, either the ColorVu or 5442TM-AS-LED are likely to work OK here. If you want a traditional IR camera that won't look like a floodlight, the regular 5442 should work. I don't think Hikvision has a model in the same price range as the regular 5442.

Also, if you haven't seen this thread:
Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU
Installing floodlight so I don't need led on the camera itself. Without camera led, which is the better pick for me is what I'm trying to figure out.

Andy sells both models at similar price.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is how wire will be run. Will try to hide it as much as possible. Existing cam up there is crappy Wyze cam which will be returned.

Above camera maybe 2nd block from the top I'll install motion floodlight which will run 50% power all night till it detects motion then 100% so lighting won't be an issue.

Can't decide between 5442 or colorvu.

Also unsure what mounting hardware like junction box I would need.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you get outdoor rated Cat5e/6 since it will be exposed.

You said you can't drill so I assume you must be renting. Else, going through the attic would be an option.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you get outdoor rated Cat5e/6 since it will be exposed.

You said you can't drill so I assume you must be renting. Else, going through the attic would be an option.
Too expensive haha. Already bought a 1000 foot box of Cat5E. It's solid core copper at least. Nope we own but drilling and fishing cables beyond my ability and budget. Attic impossible because too much insulation.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As @aristobrat mentioned, the equivalent Dahua is the 5442TM-AS-LED

The best Dahua in this range for color at night without LED's or IR will be the HFW5442T-ASE-NI, but its a bullet. I prefer bullets myself.

They also have a dome but no turret

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Attic is never impossible. Just have to climb and move insulation. ;) But I get it.

Eventually that cable jacket will crack and split from UV. Should take a while though so that’s good at least.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Attic is never impossible. Just have to climb and move insulation. ;) But I get it.

Eventually that cable jacket will crack and split from UV. Should take a while though so that’s good at least.
Nope its actually impossible. R60 insulation. Its so thick you cannot see where wood to walk on is. Everything is buried.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same thing. Blown in three feet deep. You just find the trusses and rat runs and move along. Pretty easy actually.

But if I didn't have to do it I wouldn't either. Hot and cramped as hell up there.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the same thing. Blown in three feet deep. You just find the trusses and rat runs and move along. Pretty easy actually.

But if I didn't have to do it I wouldn't either. Hot and cramped as hell up there.
Yeah I'd rather just run cat5e behind sofitt lol. Got 1000 foot box anyway.

Reaction score
Which cam? Well are you using BI or an NVR? If an NVR then try and stay with the same brand of cam as the NVR. If BI, then it really does not matter as far as the interface. But I would try and stick to all one brand. Easier from an upkeep stand point.

The 5442 mount is the PFA130-E.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which cam? Well are you using BI or an NVR? If an NVR then try and stay with the same brand of cam as the NVR. If BI, then it really does not matter as far as the interface. But I would try and stick to all one brand. Easier from an upkeep stand point.

The 5442 mount is the PFA130-E.
Ordering 5442 from Andy. Already built my BI machine! Just need cameras now. The size on 5442 is smaller and honestly I'll just wrap the wiring with tape.

Edit: Might do colorvu instead of box isn't needed as it is for 5442 to hide connector

Edit2: Ok junction box for colorvu costs more so just grabbing a box for 5442 from Andy.

Last edited: