Educate Me

Reaction score
vicoo20240813013230.jpg
Those two bright lights are they cameras or something reflecting at my camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^ to the replies above; rotate cam slightly to its right (outward) to mitigate IR bouncing off your siding at night. The more IR bounce-back the more the camera tries to limit what comes into the sensor causing the rest of the view, your back yard I presume, to become darker.

To answer your specific question, those 2 " bright lights" you see at upper right are either a surface reflecting your cam's IR back to it (vehicle tail lights and DOT reflective tape are really good at that) or the IR from a CCTV camera pointed in YOUR direction. :cool:

P.S. - That's a great looking pit in your avatar! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1^^^ to the replies above; rotate cam slightly to its right (outward) to mitigate IR bouncing off your siding at night. The more IR bounce-back the more the camera tries to limit what comes into the sensor causing the rest of the view, your back yard I presume, to become darker.

To answer your specific question, those 2 " bright lights" you see at upper right are either a surface reflecting your cam's IR back to it (vehicle tail lights and DOT reflective tape are really good at that) or the IR from a CCTV camera pointed in YOUR direction. :cool:

P.S. - That's a great looking pit in your avatar! :)

What about the tiny white dots on the upper left? Thought they were stars but my mom wanted me to check with experts to see if those were cameras or reflections too. She was concerned about it since her last visit.

That's my deceased pit I loved him to bits he passed away from cancer his name was Peanut and he was 12 years old.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What about the tiny white dots on the upper left? Thought they were stars but my mom wanted me to check with experts to see if those were cameras or reflections too. She was concerned about it since her last visit.
Definitely not stars.

Have you walked over that direction during the day to see if it is just something reflective? That would make the most sense.
Go into the camera's GUI and turn off the IR. If those spots disappear, it is something reflecting your IR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent idea from Ri220 above.
Hopefully it does have a webGUI or phone app so you can turn off the IR at night just to see what happens to those 2 dots at upper left.

To that end, what is the camera make and model?
That image in your first post....is that on a PC or ????

Reaction score
Excellent idea from Ri220 above.
Hopefully it does have a webGUI or phone app so you can turn off the IR at night just to see what happens to those 2 dots at upper left.

To that end, what is the camera make and model?
That image in your first post....is that on a PC or ????
As far as I know it's called GMK and it's a solar powered camera with 360 degree tilt and rotation. It's from Amazon. I have to wait till tonight and look at the settings. The image is from my phone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know it's called GMK and it's a solar powered camera with 360 degree tilt and rotation. It's from Amazon. I have to wait till tonight and look at the settings. The image is from my phone.
Ok, I'll be VERY surprised if the app will allow you to disable the IR but who knows..... :idk::)

P.S. - Sorry about Peanut, I know exactly what you went through when he passed.

Reaction score
Definitely not stars.

Have you walked over that direction during the day to see if it is just something reflective? That would make the most sense.
Go into the camera's GUI and turn off the IR. If those spots disappear, it is something reflecting your IR.
Screenshot_20240813-151137_VicoHome.jpg
These are the settings. Do I uncheck black and white mode to disable the IR?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately that looks like quite a cheap camera with very limited options and probably a small sensor. I presume it's this:

The obvious suggestion here given limited in camera options as Andy (Empire Candy) says, is angle the camera away from the wall more so as little of the wall as possible is in the picture - the more it's angled away the less IR potentially gets reflected. I'd try to alter the picture framing to something like this:

vicoo20240813013230.jpg

Where there's as little of the building / door in the frame as possible. You only need enough to capture someone full height at the door. All that wall is reflecting IR. This probably won't entirely defog the picture, but it should improve it by reducing the amount of IR hitting the wall..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try sliding the "Auto Night Vision" switch to the left then maybe there's an "OK" or "Save" button somewhere.
Then you can put it back when you're done.