Either jump or get out of my way!

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
footage from your mobile rig?
Yes. I had an old camera inside the box so I knew when they had hatched and were ready to jump. So I set up the mobile rig. And also had a pole mounted zoom on them that caught them hitting the water. I'll try to trim it down to size and post it.

I have an owl that comes every night for the past 10 days or so right at dark. He lands on a specific stubby limb and goes from limb to ground. I've learned a little more every night about his habits. I've got my portable rig sitting on the end of the dock tonight. I'll post a compilation of videos when I have time. I'm getting a little better every night.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I understand your addiction. I am trying to get an early start on a second camera for my great horned owls that nest in a barrel in my yard every year. I'm looking to buy a small camera to mount on a branch two feet above the barrel. I'd really like to see when they have lay their first egg instead of guessing. Any suggestions of what camera to buy? Also do you have a camera inside your wood duck box? I built a barred owl box and I'd like to have a camera inside it as well. And while I am at it, it would be nice to have a camera in my great crested flycatcher box as well :) My goal is to have it done by the end of September. Thanks in advance for your time.
Okiebirdnerd

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
From my experience, things to consider:
  • Auxillary IR illumination
  • close mounting is best, obviously, but I worry the barely visible (to humans) ir leds in the cam might spook them? Tho 10ft away (my latest captures) didn't seem to bother them. Note: my cam was mounted AFTER the nest was built. I can't say if pre-installed & powered/shining cam would be a demerit in the "let's pick a nest site" scouting effort...
  • maybe I'll try a 940nm illuminator. Coyotes seem to shy away. Maybe birds too? I haven't googled their sight bandwidth, lol.
  • at extremely close distances, lens size doesn't really matter.
  • the critical feature of varifocal, ie: the ability to autofocus, really helped getting a clear pic.
  • starlight gave gr8 night shots. You could see the chicks blink.

Have fun!
Fastb

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I understand your addiction. I am trying to get an early start on a second camera for my great horned owls that nest in a barrel in my yard every year. I'm looking to buy a small camera to mount on a branch two feet above the barrel. I'd really like to see when they have lay their first egg instead of guessing. Any suggestions of what camera to buy? Also do you have a camera inside your wood duck box? I built a barred owl box and I'd like to have a camera inside it as well. And while I am at it, it would be nice to have a camera in my great crested flycatcher box as well :) My goal is to have it done by the end of September. Thanks in advance for your time.
Okiebirdnerd
I don't have any suggestions but I'm sure the guys here will. I have two of these small SD1A203T-GN cameras that I mount in duck boxes, but this box just has an old camera. The video no longer works but I can get a screenshot and that lets me know when they are going to hatch. Next year it will have one of the good cameras. You can find my videos that show the inside camera if you search Jump Day.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score