Electrical Transmission Line Issue

Neuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, some of our electrical transmission infrastructure in South Africa is either old or poorly maintained, leading to issues like this captured on my CCTv last night. We can't see the pole or electrical cabling as there is a tree in the way but it was still spectacular...

P.S. This is just a GIF so the quality isn't great.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Years ago I lived in a town up river from New Orlean, Louisiana. One misty day we started hearing loud explosions and shortly after we lost power. There were more explosion and the transformer on the power pole in front of my house exploded. We jumped in my truck and drove down a major highway. While driving along the highway transformers were blowing on every power pole that had transformers. I witness over 40 transformers blowing and each time the flash and sound made me jump. Large area were without power for a couple days until they replaced all of the transformers. They blamed it on salt spray, which I still don't believe. We lived over 65 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, and there were a nice breeze blowing in from the south, which isn't unusual and is very common.

Sparky19053

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would of expected the building lights to of flickered with the arcing.