Embarrassing question about upgrading!

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm more than a little ashamed for asking this. I purchased BI5 in June 2019 with the wholehearted intention of updating my v4 installation within a few weeks. I didn't realize how much time had passed until today. When I first downloaded the installer it was at v5.0.0.57. The current installer is v5.4.9.18.

Where can I find information on how to perform the v4 to v5 upgrade using the current installer. It seems like it was initially (v5.0.0.57 era) somewhat complex. I'm hoping there's an easier upgrade path since so much time has passed.

I'm dedicated (I promise) to upgrading this system currently... Please help me do what I should have been done years ago. Please accept my sincerest thanks for your assistance and for taking it easy on me for being (as Red Forman put it) a dumb*ss.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've been holding off. I was "Version 5 eligible" but that support expired some time ago. Now that I've installed Version 5 every image has an overlay that says "Blue Iris Evaluation Version." Does that mean that I needed to upgrade to V5 back when the support was active?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You just need to now rollback to the latest 5.x.x.x version that was available before that support ran out and then the Eval overlay will disappear. Or pay the $30ish to get active again.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, where is the upgrade thread where I can learn how to do the obvious BI5 upgrade related things -- like getting my clips pane back over on the right side of the screen? The search feature here seems to be somewhat crippled. Thanks.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, where is the upgrade thread where I can learn how to do the obvious BI5 upgrade related things -- like getting my clips pane back over on the right side of the screen? The search feature here seems to be somewhat crippled. Thanks.
Post #2 Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

From the help file:

"If you would prefer the clips list to be docked to the right-hand side of the window rather
than the left, double-click in its toolbar area to the left of the calendar icon. The clips list is
discussed further in the Recording and Clips chapter."

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument, let's say I'm the biggest dumb*ss in the world and I'm currently on v4.8.6.3.

Also assume that I have NEVER purchased an upgrade license (as far as I'm concerned, the one I purchased is lost money and I regret ever having purchased it).

How would someone upgrade from v4.8.6.3 to the most current version?

Would it be as simple as purchasing a new "current" license and then doing the upgrade following the instructions above?

I've been in contact with BI support and they're confusing me with all the complex stuff involved with the license and related support I purchased in 2019. (Upgrade to new and then downgrade, stay on v4, renew support then upgrade, etc.) Did I mention that I REGRET having made that purchase and wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to do it? As far as I'm concerned that license doesn't exist.

I want to start fresh and simply want to upgrade...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, either follow the instructions above for the version you purchased or purchase a current one and follow the directions. Then either upgrade or simply start new if you would rather it truly be start fresh.

This guy may have you beat though for posting about being dumb lol:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's very easy, buy a new license from the IPCT store. Review the material in the "upgrading from v4 to v5" thread. Install it using the latest "stable" version. You should be good to go with sub stream availability and Deepstack AI availability. I'd suggest taking advantage of the upgrades available by paying the yearly support fee in the future.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This guy may have you beat though for posting about being dumb lol:
Okay. I'm pretty sure he has me beaten in the dumb*ss department. I stand corrected! :lol:

It's very easy, buy a new license from the IPCT store. Review the material in the "upgrading from v4 to v5" thread. Install it using the latest "stable" version.
That's all I wanted to know. The easy route. Thank you so much for breaking it down into layman's dumb*ss terms! :clap:

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What the ACTUAL #$%^&*???

Within the last five minutes I purchased a BRAND NEW version 5 license and it STILL won't let me use the new license number to upgrade! It says I have to purchase ANOTHER new license??? How many licenses does it take to upgrade?

If you can't tell... I'm extremely frustrated. I now own TWO version 5 licenses that are absolutely worthless.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a step that is obviously being missed. Countless people have upgraded without a problem.

What about simply exporting the camera configs out of V4 and just consider it a new install and then import the config files over?

Maybe deregister V4? I suspect it has something to do with maybe you still have V4 registered and still running?

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a step that is obviously being missed.
I would venture to say... That's an understatement.

I started this post acknowledging my own personal shortcomings and dumbassery. I'm sure I'm missing something a "caveman" would find obvious. Until then I'm out two license fees. I'm damn sure not going to make it three.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a difference? I went to the IPCamTalk store and purchased whatever was being sold there for $57.99. I "assumed" it was a full license and I now have two of those. Should I be purchasing something else? If so, that's as clear as mud.