Embed credentials on Blue Iris Web Server URL

technet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We would like to know if it is possible to embed Blue Iris credentials in a URL, as sometimes it is really needed.

Something like http://user:password@server.tld:9090 isn't accepted on Blue Iris, and it works on many other webservers including on IP cameras, which allows us to automate some functions like PTZ with a single http get request.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is possible, but it is undocumented ... and I don't remember the syntax. Please report back if you find out (maybe ask the developer of Blue Iris).

technet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've asked him already, waiting for the reply.

technet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll have to disable "secure only" on Options/Web server, so you can add to the URL:

?user=user&pw=password

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but I automatically subscribe with notifications to every thread I post in... so I have a stupid number of subscriptions :)

Rhys Evans

n3wb
Reaction score
this doesnt seem to work with UI3, is there a new way to add to the url extension so no login/pw required?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This still works just as described above. The existence of ui3 files in the web server folder is of no consequence.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where is the "Secure only" option located in recent versions of Blue Iris? Was it renamed? I'm trying to pass credentials to login to ui3.htm as well as a direct camera feed and it does not work...

http://server.domain.com:8081/ui3.htm?user=admin&pw=password

It takes us to our login page, but does not enter the credentials or continue... etc. Just stays at a blank filled login ui3 page...

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I disable that - it doesn't even ask for a username or password at all...? Is that expected behavior? Tried on a brand new VM that's never even logged into BI at all... (not passing username or password, just let me right into the camera feed). I have "Require from" set to "All connections" and unchecked "Use secure session keys and login page". But when I go to http://server:port/ui3.htm it logs straight in without any prompting - I don't even know what user it's logging in with??

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
While this may be wholly inapplicable to the request, I thought it might be a good time to remind anyone reading this thread that you can specify specific client IP addresses blanket admin access w/o the need to supply credentials at all. This, of course, wouldn't be useful if you are trying to limit users to specific permissions, or if you're reaching your BI server from outside the LAN. Where it is particularly useful is if you're using a 3rd-party client (i.e. Roku IP camera viewer, or a home automation controller) that is on the LAN, and you don't want to supply that device with ANY credentials that could be sent 'home' to the developer. It effectively puts the local IP on a whitelist. It can be found under global settings, web server, advanced button, "limit IP addresses" box, add LAN IP with a carrot ^ ahead of IP.

I have multiple Roku TVs with static IP addresses (as well as a VERA home controller that triggers BI alerts) which all require access to BI. By adding each IP with the ^ symbol, I simply leave the UN/PW credentials blank (or don't add them to the URL). Works great.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...... I thought it might be a good time to remind anyone reading this thread that you can specify specific client IP addresses blanket admin access w/o the need to supply credentials at all. ...add LAN IP with a carrot ^ ahead of IP......
Thanks for the timely reminder, I have found this info useful ever since you revealed it back in June of 2017 in the thread "Check your BI logs for logins from unknown IPs".

And thanks for the carrot....er.... caret! :D

Last edited: