Emergency Power/Storms/Prepping etc

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm busted!

I'll have to calculate out per therm, but I think your gas might even be cheaper than mine

I'll take a week of power during a hurricane for under $100 any day of the week!

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
As promised, here is the oil report from Beryl on my Generac RG027-QS (27kw (25kw on NG) Standby Generator with a 2.4L Mitsubishi 4G64 running at 1800RPM. Generator is liquid cooled)

It was 24 hours for the Houston Derecho and then 138 hours for Hurricane Beryl on this oil, making 162. Total hours was 208 hours at the time. I did run for another 24 hours after changing the oil for Beryl

Total outage was 6 days, 6 hours and 37 mins

1723500885967.png

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that they mention the increased Aluminum, but this sample is over 6x the runtime, so its not really higher at all, per hours is much lower

abita_brewing

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check this out

Have seen several of his videos. That guy is reasonable, but does some stuff that should NOT be done. Tipping the mower to the 'wrong' side... the gas is a minor problem. The larger problem is oil making its way through the crankcase vent tube and flooding the carb with oil... usually destroying it.

If I were going to lube the bushings... it would be during an oil change when the crankcase was mostly empty already.

abita_brewing

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen it more than once... tipped to the wrong side. Carbs were replaced and not torn down... so don't know for sure. Neighbor used to work (commercially) fixing mowers at his house on the side. Sharp guy... was aerospace tech but fixed small engines in spare time. Very meticulous, but SLOW as heck.

That said... tipping the hondas to the wrong side... can for sure have oil backflow through vent tube into carb. Makes a heck of a mess.