EmpireTech-IPC-HFW5231E-ZE Help with zoom

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 EmpireTech-IPC-HFW5231E-ZE-Starlight-Network-English cameras that are having issues since my switch over to BI5 .. I have been looking through the BI help , for 2 days , i can not seem to find a solution to why i can not control zoom with BI or the BI app. I can log into both camera and zoom works without issue. What setting am i overlooking?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
How are the cameras configured in BI? Did you use "find/inspect" or enter a Dahua or other entry? Is the PTZ enabled in the PTZ tab of the camera configuration?

Remember the 5231 is a varifocal camera, not a true zoom camera. It is designed to be set and left at one specific focal length more or less permanently.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I has PTZ enabled. But i did find that it was set to main stream, Zoom works when I select ipc-a35. I have been pulling my hair out!! I normally don't zoom, its nice when i need to bring the bad section closerbi3.JPG

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use "find/inspect" and accept those settings. BI is very good at detecting what will work best for stream and control configurations.
i Have never used that before ,always set up manually .
I did just try it now and got this
Opening 192.168.1.108 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2022-02-07T01:23:56.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 1
InputConnectors: 2
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 1
Opening 192.168.1.108 port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
Cantonk port 34567?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most instances it will find generic and that is fine to use.

But you are getting a bad response. It has an IP address of the default IP address - is this your only cam and if not did you change the IP addresses of the other cams or do you now have an IP address conflict.

And as others have said, this camera is a varifocal and isn't intended to have the zoom in and out used often. Some cameras you may be able to adjust that in BI, but you really shouldn't. Log into the camera GUI and set and forget it.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i will have to investigate to make sure no ip conflict on my network,. the system is running 12 cameras now, i set all cameras to a static ip during my initial camera set up.. .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Change the IP and use what find/inspect sees. Generic is fine to use, I'm using it on my 5231-ZE and had to shut off PTZ in BI because it's a PITA. Zooming interferes with how the motion detection zones work.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not in the video settings screen of the camera settings, but in the PTZ tab, select ONVIF (XML) or Dahua V4. You may need to enable PTZ controls in the UI on that same tab as well, then disable them once you get the camera adjusted to where you want it so you don't inadvertently change the zoom settings later (especially if you are manually focusing the camera).

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are using an IP of 192.168.1.108, you likely have a problem....Put up a screen shot of the BI camera status.

Also, as others have said, use the find/inspect. Yes it comes up with some bland looking generic camera, but it works!