EmpireTech - IVS Setup for ONVIF triggers to BI

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Happy new year all!

I've got 2 IP cams from EmpireTech, both feeding my BI and all working well.

I am currently using BI motion detection which also sends Pushover alerts to my phone - quite happy with that setup.

Reading this forum has made me wonder if I can improve the false negative triggers I get when it's windy/raining.

It seems a lot of people are using the IVS within the cameras and forwarding those events to BI as the trigger instead of using BI motion triggers.

I've tried to set this up but nothing I've tried works - I've followed all the guides I can find but no dice, I've since gone back to BI motion until I can get this figured out.

I do believe this is something to do with my cameras and not BI.

Moving forwards, I need to somehow start at the beginning and remove BI from the equation -

I have enabled IVS in the cameras, drawn an intrusion box and set it as 'appears' with human as the filter.

When I go and walk Infront of the cameras I don't see anything in the logs/events to do with IVS. All I see are log entries telling me when I logged in and out.

I think this is where my problem is.

First question;

Do I need an SD Card in the cameras to enable IVS/events?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you do not need an SD card for it to work, although it makes troubleshooting easier.

Turn on IVS rules on live view and have someone do the walk and see if the IVS rule turns red when the person crosses.

Post screenshots of the field of view with the IVS rules turned on. You have to think in 3D and it may be a simple IVS rule adjustment.

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm going to concentrate on my main camera for now.

This is the FOV with two rules; intrusion box and trip wires.

1000010269.jpg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Try to not ask it to do too much at one time while you are troubleshooting. Start by placing an A > B tripwire at the gate and try to get that to work.

And this is what is meant by "think in 3D". Imagine where you would need to shine a laser for it to cut across the chest.

I had to adjust my tripwires until they were happy. I would think I would have it set for where a person would walk, but it would end up they would be just outside of the line, which is why the ones across the street go so far into the grass. They really "don't" go into the grass. Imagine a person standing there, and that's where their torso would be.

1704224703680.png

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should have kept it simple but the longer this goes on without me making any progress the more rules I am adding in desperation to get one of them turning red.

I don't really want trip wires, I just want a box in my yard that captures human presence whenever someone enters that box. This seems like a pretty simple rule to me, which makes me think I've got some setting really wrong.

I'm going to post various screenshots from the camera settings to see if anything sticks out to you experts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could be something as simple as your camera orientation is not showing a person vertical and that is what the model was trained on. Can you rotate it physically or in the software?

Also running on default/auto settings usually cause issues.

That should be a simple intrusion box.

Lets go back to basics.

Confirm you have Smart Plan on for IVS and MD and SMD turned off.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to try an intrusion box, you need more space between the outside of the FOV and the box, at least on the sides. It needs to see something outside of the box and then detect that it broke the wire of the box and intruded it.

I would also try making it smaller, just to troubleshoot.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And make sure the intrusion is set to crosses and appears. If appears isn't selected and you cross it before it triggers, it won't trigger.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How did you bring the camera into BI?

Did you type in the IP address and username and password and hit find/inspect?

Even if you did that, you have to redo the find/inspect after you change/add IVS rules.

Hit the find/inspect and post what comes up in the popup window.

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Opening 192.168.50.2 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2024-01-02T23:33:34.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: General
Model: IPC-Color4K-T-Black-2.8mm
FirmwareVersion: 3.120.0000000.21.R, Build Date 2023-04-18
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
profile token MediaProfile00000
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_MainStream
profile source is 00000
profile source config is 00000
profile token MediaProfile00001
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream1
profile source is 00000
profile token MediaProfile00002
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream2
profile source is 00000
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00000
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00001
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00002
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 1
RelayOutput: 00000/Bistable/open
InputConnectors: 1
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 1
Done

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That all looks good.

Now in BI you told it to trigger on External/Onvif or whatever the options are for the version you are on?

Post screenshots of your BI motion page and BI alerts page

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can't you just zig-zag the tripwire instead of half a dozen different tripwires? Asking this - not questioning your setup.
If you are referring to @Ri22o image, it is because when you use it as a spotter cam for an auto tracking PTZ as he is, you only care about it tracking people coming towards you, not their behind as they leave LOL. A zig-zag would result in it triggering people in both directions.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are referring to @Ri22o image, it is because when you use it as a spotter cam for an auto tracking PTZ as he is, you only care about it tracking people coming towards you, not their behind as they leave LOL. A zig-zag would result in it triggering people in both directions.
I don't see the post, but this is the reason.

Zig-zagging caused the tripwire to ignore the directional A > B and became A <> B. I only want to track people on the approach. Plus, when BI is able to differentiate between IVS rules I can have the camera go to different presets on the near or far side of the road.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, when I posted I was mixing up Roymickton and Ri22o's post images. I deleted it after I noticed this.

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I made some progress but still no cigar.

Using the BI log, I noticed a new entry which I've never seen before - 'event request' which was counting every second or so.....

As soon as I walked in front of the camera these event requests stopped counting. I changed the ONVIF port from 80 to 83 in BI and noticed they started counting again even when I walked in front of the camera. No triggers though and no recording.

I think the problem is down to two different issues, one with my firewall and another with my camera angle/FOV.

At this point I've given up for now, I've gone back to BI motion detection which is working perfect. I only wanted to use the IVS to offload some CPU cycles on the BI host, but honestly, I don't see a massive difference when I have BI motion detection enabled and disabled so I'm going to leave it at that until I have a bored day at which point I may look at it again.

I appreciate all the help, thanks for giving me your time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The event request is a totally separate issue and doesn't prevent it from working and the fact it stopped when you walked past is simply coincidence.

Changing ports usually leads to problems.

I think it is the FOV and orientation.