EmpireTech NV41AI-8P-4KH or NVR8CH-AI

NoTea

n3wb
Reaction score
So I’m looking at purchasing 3 or 4 IPC-T54IR-AS from Andy however I’m not sure what NVR to go for out of the two.

From what I can tell the more expensive one has more advanced AI capabilities, however I’ve read it’s best to enable the AI on the camera itself and not the NVR.

Are there any other differences?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would get the AI version if you can afford it, which is what I have. I agree it's better to enable AI features on the cameras, but you never know if the NVR will add AI features faster than the cameras. For example, I'm holding out for animal detection or SMD with defined AI areas so that it doesn't trigger bushes moving in the wind all the time or my AC unit fan spinning.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
It is always best to enable the AI on the camera and you will much happier with the NVR8CH-AI.
FYI the 8P with have the PoE switch in the NVR and all the camera cables will need to go back to the NVR and the non (xP) you will need your own PoE switch to power the cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind when you enable AI by the NVR, it does reduce the capacity of the NVR. And that can be problematic to some situations.

NoTea

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind when you enable AI by the NVR, it does reduce the capacity of the NVR. And that can be problematic to some situations.
Okay so if I’m not going to enable AI on NVR, I may as well go for the cheaper option?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay so if I’m not going to enable AI on NVR, I may as well go for the cheaper option?
As the other poster mentioned, the AI NVR has PoE built in so you don't need a separate PoE switch. That alone was worth it to me.

NoTea

n3wb
Reaction score
As the other poster mentioned, the AI NVR has PoE built in so you don't need a separate PoE switch. That alone was worth it to me.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately due to the wiring I will have to use local Poe switches

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heat wise, would that be worrisome enabling AI on the camera?

About this NV41A1-8P-4KH...

Is this an international model (non-US market)?
What is meant by industrial-grade processor and Security Baseline 2.3?
Will this recorder run perimeter intrusion, tripwire, abandoned/missing object when Smart Plan (IVS) is enabled in supported cameras?

My reason for the last question is that those features were not mentioned on Dahua Security's website, only SMD+. It is my understanding that Smart Plan IVS is replaced by Smart Motion Detection Plus, am I right?

My last concern, I hope this model series is not part of that 4xxxx "no IVS" firmware mess. Can anyone confirm this?

Would appreciate your honest insight.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No we do it 99% of the time across thousands of cameras.

Not sure what you mean. Its sold internationally but its not a Non-US market NVR

Thats an Andy question

Will this recorder run perimeter intrusion, tripwire, abandoned/missing object when Smart Plan (IVS) is enabled in supported cameras?
Specs are clearly spelled out on this page. It doesn't mentiuon Abandoned/missing object

My reason for the last question is that those features were not mentioned on Dahua Security's website, only SMD+. It is my understanding that Smart Plan IVS is replaced by Smart Motion Detection Plus, am I right?
No, IVS and SMD are two different things entirely. They are both "AI" functions. This NVR shows to have both

My last concern, I hope this model series is not part of that 4xxxx "no IVS" firmware mess. Can anyone confirm this?
No

Note this is a "Lite" /"value" NVR. It does not have all of the topline features or horsepower as the more expensive ones. Its a value/$ choice

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No we do it 99% of the time across thousands of cameras.

Not sure what you mean. Its sold internationally but its not a Non-US market NVR

Thats an Andy question

Specs are clearly spelled out on this page. It doesn't mentiuon Abandoned/missing object

No, IVS and SMD are two different things entirely. They are both "AI" functions. This NVR shows to have both

No

Note this is a "Lite" /"value" NVR. It does not have all of the topline features or horsepower as the more expensive ones. Its a value/$ choice
Good to know they don't overheat. Even if they do, I have always fought the urge to paint them knowing that these camera bodies served as heatsinks to help dissipate internal heat. At one point, I almost did the worse thing that you could ever do which is dip it in plastic (plasti-dip). Glad I repented. After all, they didn't powder-coat them for nothing.

I thought the IVS mentioned in the literature is associated with SMD+ ala Smart Plan which has its own set of IVS. It's a good thing you made it clear that they are both different. Now there are three options to choose from events: IVS, SMD+, and the basic motion detection. You can only enable one for it to work just like you cannot use tripwire with motion detect enabled, correct?

Lite suits my needs for now.

Thanks, Fish.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many here paint them with no issues.

You can enable all three motion detections, but most here find that IVS only withput MD or SMD works the best.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Smart Plan must be enabled in order to use ANY AI.

So if you want to use SMD, you have to enable SmartPLan first
Want to use IVS, have to enable SmartPlan first.

SMD and IVS are different. Not the same. SMD doesnt have IVS, IVS is an alternative to SMD. A better one in 99% of cases.

Basic plain MD is just that and must be enabled to use SMD which is a layer on top of plain MD. They are both far Inferior to IVS

Now there are three options to choose from events: IVS, SMD+, and the basic motion detection.
Correct

You can only enable one for it to work just like you cannot use tripwire with motion detect enabled, correct?
You can enable them simultaneously but its not advised. Typically once you see what IVS (tripwire, Intrusion, Face Detection, etc- all IVS functions) can do, you will see there is no need for MD or SMD

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What is meant by industrial-grade processor....?
I'll take a crack at this one. It means some marketing person thinks it sounds really good and might impress somebody. Information-wise, it's somewhat similar to the new toilet paper roll being 60% bigger, but we won't tell you bigger than what?

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smart Plan must be enabled in order to use ANY AI.

So if you want to use SMD, you have to enable SmartPLan first
Want to use IVS, have to enable SmartPlan first.

SMD and IVS are different. Not the same. SMD doesnt have IVS, IVS is an alternative to SMD. A better one in 99% of cases.

Basic plain MD is just that and must be enabled to use SMD which is a layer on top of plain MD. They are both far Inferior to IVS

Now there are three options to choose from events: IVS, SMD+, and the basic motion detection.
Correct

You can only enable one for it to work just like you cannot use tripwire with motion detect enabled, correct?
You can enable them simultaneously but its not advised. Typically once you see what IVS (tripwire, Intrusion, Face Detection, etc- all IVS functions) can do, you will see there is no need for MD or SMD
The fog of misconception has been lifted. Everything is crystal clear now.

Very much appreciate it, Fish. :thumb:

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll take a crack at this one. It means some marketing person thinks it sounds really good and might impress somebody. Information-wise, it's somewhat similar to the new toilet paper roll being 60% bigger, but we won't tell you bigger than what?
:lol: Reminds me of a t.v. commercial about a "smart" denture or something. Like when does a piece of resin start to think on its own? Duh.