Enable CCTV Outside local Network

mil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

do you know how to enable access to Web GUI of NVR/Cameras outside of my home network.

Lets say if I am in completely another country than my Home i.e. CCTV System.
Does my Home Router has to have static IP Address (for the rest of the Internet), or there is some other solution?

Is DDNS used for this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your WAN IP does not need to be static but it does need to be public, meaning it's open to the Internet.

To accommodate the fact that the WAN IP is dynamic, not static, you employ the DDNS. Most routers can be configured to refresh the DDNS when the dynamic WAN IP changes and you access it remotely using a hostname and don't have to concern yourself with what the new WAN IP is.

Instead of forwarding any ports in the router to allow remote access of the NVR (from outside of the LAN) and causing great security risk to your LAN, you would want to use a VPN server, such as OpenVPN, that can be installed on that same router and access the NVR remotely using a VPN client on your remote device (PC, smartphone, etc.)

How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

mil

n3wb
Reaction score
Your WAN IP does not need to be static but it does need to be public, meaning it's open to the Internet.

To accommodate the fact that the WAN IP is dynamic, not static, you employ the DDNS. Most routers can be configured to refresh the DDNS when the dynamic WAN IP changes and you access it remotely using a hostname and don't have to concern yourself with what the new WAN IP is.

Instead of forwarding any ports in the router to allow remote access of the NVR (from outside of the LAN) and causing great security risk to your LAN, you would want to use a VPN server, such as OpenVPN, that can be installed on that same router and access the NVR remotely using a VPN client on your remote device (PC, smartphone, etc.)

Perfect explanation, thank you a lot! I appreciate it.

mil

n3wb
Reaction score

which IP address should I enter here? Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 18.08.04.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
which IP address should I enter here? View attachment 175318
"hostname" is not an IP, it's a name unique only for you to use, like "mydogspot" and if it's approved, your complete hostname to use when attempting to access remotely would be would be, in the above example:
Code:
http://mydogspot.ipctddns.com
EDITED for clarity 10/19 0654 CT

Last edited: