Enclosure and cooling

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am planning to run the below from this enclosure in the garage.
1x nvr5216-16p-4ks2 with 2 HDD
1x modem/router
1x UPS to run it all

It is IP66 rated, so it would be pretty air tight. I planning to cut in few vents on the side.
Do you think passive ventilation will be enough or should I put some sort of a fan?

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on the location/ambient temp/enclosure size.

Schneider electric do a nice tool for calculation enclosure cooling.

Fans are super cheap so I would put one in even if passive cooling is 'adequate'

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The enclosure is 500x400x200mm
Any suggestion on how to power the fan/fans? Did not really want another power adapter there just for the fans...

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a similar project.mine was just a poe switch inside the box plus two tiny fans on top and regular size one on bottom.ill take pics in a bit.i had it outside in 100 degrees weather.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to avoid unnecessary power use. At the moment I am inclined to put something like 120mm 12v fan on a side (with multiple small holes drilled in the enclosure) running off 5v USB with more ventilation holes at the bottom of enclosure (but no fan). Do not want it to be too loud. Have to put a temperature logger of some sort into the enclosure to see how hot it gets with that setup.
Ultimately would want to have some simple circuit (like with a bimetal thermal switch) to power on the fan/red LED if gets too hot inside, but maybe it is not necessary.
Enclosure is in the garage, so no direct sunlight. In summer it will get like 40C outside, so will see.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The top fans are tiny

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you send a picture from inside of the box? Looking for the best way to oraganize it all

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a mess of wires lol.i have poe switch,mini amp and small surge protector.i need to dust it off.fans are off right now.its warmish weather at the moment.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah... a bit =) Do you power the fans manually or through some thermal switch?
I wanted to have a smaller enclosure but could not fit NVR, so went with the larger size.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah... a bit =) Do you power the fans manually or through some thermal switch?
I wanted to have a smaller enclosure but could not fit NVR, so went with the larger size.
I just used a molex power adaptor i had lying around.then used a splitter to power all 3.i just plug into surge protector.but what u talked about seems cool.be able to set fans to turn on when temps get high.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I am planning to go 120mm. It will run 5v, so will be slower.
Delayed my project - my step drill does not go as far as 25mm for the conduit attachment =( Now have to wait till this arrives