encryption on recorded video in NVR ?

Andreszz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if the nvr like hikvision or reolink record the videos with some type of encryption. In the case of Blue Iris, it occurs to me that Windos 10 + Veracript can provide an interesting level of security.
My concern is if the NVR is stolen, do they have access to everything recorded?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the nvr like hikvision or reolink record the videos with some type of encryption. In the case of Blue Iris, it occurs to me that Windos 10 + Veracript can provide an interesting level of security.
My concern is if the NVR is stolen, do they have access to everything recorded?
If you encrypt w10, what happens on reboot when you need to enter the password.
It is very rare for an nvr or pc to be stolen, however if you are paranoid, simply secure it making it difficult to remove.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’re using Pro, Enterprise or Education versions of Windows 10 you could use BitLocker to encrypt the drive(s) but make sure you have saved the recovery key as without it you won’t be able to unlock the drive(s) if you forget the unlock code.

Alternatively, drill a hole through the drives and bolt them down, no way that the drives will be stolen after that

Seriously though as pointed out above, stealing the NVR is probably low on the burglars list so just make sure you hide it away where it can’t easily be found.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my system I use Win 10 Pro with bitlocker (as mentioned above) but for every triggered event I upload to my google drive so if they do steal my dvr I still have video evidence.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On my system I use Win 10 Pro with bitlocker (as mentioned above) but for every triggered event I upload to my google drive so if they do steal my dvr I still have video evidence.
What happens if there is a power outage or your pc reboots for another reason?

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I always have a battery backup and do my updates religiously. I think in 2 years I have had 1 time where it restarted without my knowledge. I also use a small form factor server (intel nuc) for my 6 cameras so it uses little power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I always have a battery backup and do my updates religiously. I think in 2 years I have had 1 time where it restarted without my knowledge. I also use a small form factor server (intel nuc) for my 6 cameras so it uses little power.
That's the problem, any power outage for more than 2-3 hours or a reboot for unknown reasons and you wont have a recording. It will happen when you need the recording.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, but I have gone 8 hours without power and my APC runs my 8 port PoE and intel NUC with no problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, but I have gone 8 hours without power and my APC runs my 8 port PoE and intel NUC with no problems.
Again there are times when power loss exceeds your backup capacity and there are times when the machine might reboot for whatever reason. Murphy will strike, I guarantee it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You can set and unlock a bitlockered drive using just TPM if your BIOS supports it so no user interaction would be required but I’ve personally never tried it in a standalone environment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can set and unlock a bitlockered drive using just TPM if your BIOS supports it so no user interaction would be required but I’ve personally never tried it in a standalone environment.
This would then defeat the entire purpose of encryption and would only prevent the drive from being read if it was removed from the pc.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is what we use at work (US Navy). DoD/DoN refers to as DAR. Data At Rest protection. HD is encrypted via bios and TPM. Works like normal laptop and boot right up no user interaction needed. Under Win 10. Designed to protect data on HD if stolen. Machines use a CAC id card with PKI. 2 factor login id card with PkI cert and PIN number to login to machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk