Enough power from Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have four Dahua 4431s and assume that they are the hacked version. More: https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-Motorized-Varifocal-Surveillance/dp/B076M5DKXV

Recently bought four Dahua HFW5231E-Z12 cameras. More: IPC HFW5231E Z12 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The NVR gives max 80w. NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 8 Channel Compact 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite NVR without Logo NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The Starlights need less than 11.5w and the 4431s 8.5w plus motorized lens 2W.

Does the NVR give enough watts? Less than 46w for the Starligts and 34w for 4431s is less than 80w but there is the 2w for motorized lens. Do the max values provided include IR?

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes rating includes the IR. Think you will end up having issues. Buy a better NVR or get a separate POE injector to run at least one Starlight. Separate injector is very cheap.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have four Dahua 4431s and assume that they are the hacked version. More: https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-Motorized-Varifocal-Surveillance/dp/B076M5DKXV

Recently bought four Dahua HFW5231E-Z12 cameras. More: IPC HFW5231E Z12 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The NVR gives max 80w. NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 8 Channel Compact 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite NVR without Logo NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The Starlights need less than 11.5w and the 4431s 8.5w plus motorized lens 2W.

Does the NVR give enough watts? Less than 46w for the Starligts and 34w for 4431s is less than 80w but there is the 2w for motorized lens. Do the max values provided include IR?

Thanks.
the starlighs only use 2-3w even with IR..the rating includes the motorized zoom function...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Do you know the difference between the white box nvr4108 and the black box nvr4108hs?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Measured at the 12 volt power inlet, my HFW5231E-Z draws 3.2 watts with the IR off, and 9.3 watts with the IR at 100%. If you run smart IR, it's unlikely that the IR lights will be running at 100%. Assuming you won't be running more than one zoom or focus motor at a time, that issue is a nit, power-wise. Powering via POE will increase the power draw a bit due to the voltage conversion efficiency, but I think you're still cleanly under 40 watts worst-case total with the four starlights.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Measured at the 12 volt power inlet, my HFW5231E-Z draws 3.2 watts with the IR off, and 9.3 watts with the IR at 100%. If you run smart IR, it's unlikely that the IR lights will be running at 100%. Assuming you won't be running more than one zoom or focus motor at a time, that issue is a nit, power-wise. Powering via POE will increase the power draw a bit due to the voltage conversion efficiency, but I think you're still cleanly under 40 watts worst-case total with the four starlights.
Executive summary: I am very likely ok power-wise and if not I can add power from other source than the NVR to one camera. Correct? Thanks for the details.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the NVR specs are accurate then you are ok, if not, just get a POE injector for a camera.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
if not I can add power from other source than the NVR to one camera. Correct?
I wasn't thinking this, and I would have more questions than answers:
1) Can you disable the power output on a single NVR port? (If yes, that makes it easier, you could use a POE injector with that port).
2) If you supply both POE power and 12 volt power to the camera, which one gets used?
3) If you use a POE injector and present both mode A and mode B power to the camera, which one will it use?

The only way that would "for sure" work that I can think of is to use an additional switch between the NVR port and the camera. That's not a terribly horrible solution.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking this, and I would have more questions than answers:
1) Can you disable the power output on a single NVR port? (If yes, that makes it easier, you could use a POE injector with that port).
2) If you supply both POE power and 12 volt power to the camera, which one gets used?
3) If you use a POE injector and present both mode A and mode B power to the camera, which one will it use?

The only way that would "for sure" work that I can think of is to use an additional switch between the NVR port and the camera. That's not a terribly horrible solution.
I know less than you do and cannot answer. My assumption has been that adding a 12 volt source switches off power supply from PoE. Hope that somebody can help.