Entry Camera / Doorbell

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping to get some help please, done a lot of looking around but not sure on the answer and urgently need to sort it out by next weekend.

I have a gated entranceway being built and need a communication and visual option for entry - I have a gate controller which works with IFTTT.

Requirements:

- Ethernet (WiFi doesn't reach here)

- PoE would be cool but there is also power

- Starlight - proper full colour night vision

- Suitable to use for Facial and number plate recognition and people/car based alerts rather than any
(either snapshot processing through Sighthound API or even better if local)

- Some sort of doorbell / audio response (happy for this to be a straightforward video doorbell and the camera does the main work but if something exists which works

- Local not cloud based storage

- Compatible with suitable software, not fully decided but likely Blue Iris

- Ability to add to Hubitat / Action Tiles / SharpTools / Google Home etc (ie streamable)

- phone interaction for doorbell aspect

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping to get some help please, done a lot of looking around but not sure on the answer and urgently need to sort it out by next weekend.

I have a gated entranceway being built and need a communication and visual option for entry - I have a gate controller which works with IFTTT.

Requirements:

- Ethernet (WiFi doesn't reach here)

- PoE would be cool but there is also power

- Starlight - proper full colour night vision

- Suitable to use for Facial and number plate recognition and people/car based alerts rather than any
(either snapshot processing through Sighthound API or even better if local)

- Some sort of doorbell / audio response (happy for this to be a straightforward video doorbell and the camera does the main work but if something exists which works

- Local not cloud based storage

- Compatible with suitable software, not fully decided but likely Blue Iris

- Ability to add to Hubitat / Action Tiles / SharpTools / Google Home etc (ie streamable)

- phone interaction for doorbell aspect
You will not find that on one device. You need a doorbell/intercom and a properly positioned and setup camera to capture plates. See LPR section of the forum.
Grandstream makes a POE video doorbell that supports rtsp and onvif so you can record to NVR/blueiris etc. supports sip video calls.
GDS3710, Video Door System- Grandstream Networks

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman

I'd like ideally to have the right camera which can do most of it with then a simple poe video doorbell to do the interaction. Key being starlight night vision but able to do the processing etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman

I'd like ideally to have the right camera which can do most of it with then a simple poe video doorbell to do the interaction. Key being starlight night vision but able to do the processing etc.
You will need to dedicate a camera to lpr. If you want the camera to do real time LPR that is a completely different ball game.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Posting a bunch of pictures showing the required installation location would be very helpful in determining which equipment and strategies might work best to meet your requirements.

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Entrance.jpg
Good shout, here is the entranceway. Doing a higher cam surveying isn't particularly an option as nowhere to mount with a good view and the new gate will fully block the view so will need to be front facing on the gate post / post box.

Issues with neighbours mean I want to be able to see/survey the right hand side where you can see their gate as well as the entrance so was leaning to the post box but directionally facing towards the road.

In terms of LPR, I was hoping to use something like the sighthound API to process snapshot images - not sure if this is realistic? Issue is whilst I own the whole driveway you can see, it's shared access so want to be able to use FR/LPR to ignore the neighbours but also to auto-trigger the gate for family. For ourselves that would be useful, but guessing presence based is easier?

Quite happy to delve into code to use Hubitat etc, have a computing & network background about 10 years ago so can pick back up anything needed.

Appreciate the replies - happy to clarify anything which doesnt make sense.

Have considered Fibaro Intercom, Doorbird, Ring, Hikvision doorbell etc. Thought something like DAH-IPC-HDBW8232E-Z-SL might work but can't see a UK price.

Camera doing real time LPR I'm guessing is mega money

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
GREEN- Yes it my property here
Vehicles come from both directions but the one which I care about is from the road view (ie from the aspect the picture is taken), where green is is my drive so where we park

Parcel box will be unobstructed- the telegraph pole is going to make space for it.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be helpful if you could post a picture looking from the road, towards your gate/property.

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Don’t have one to hand, but property entrance etc is not at that point and sight lines don’t allow any view beyond the gate (single story at that point) so any cameras or doorbell will need to be in either gate post or parcel box

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would need to see a view from the other side before I expressed my opinion.

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m not back at my house until the weekend, but need to try and sort it out by then

What’s the info you need - perhaps I can help by answering?

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully these help - appreciate the support

Revisiting your diagram, vechicles which come from the RED direction are the only ones which I need to number plate match, the yellow is simply the neighbours parking space so they don't come from that direction.

As you can hopefully see the driveway is the direction of travel in

Front Close.png Front Far.png Gate Close.png