Epic Tornado Video Capture - Andover KS 2022

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
This has to be one of the best multi view image captures of a tornado coming through from a single site. The multiple angles, clear shots, and incredible video quality from start to end is amazing.

As the comments noted in that video the power of Mother Nature is truly to be reckoned with. Moving a car like it was a piece of tissue on the ground?

The importance of staying away from Windows and doors as the flying debris is literally millions of bullets wizzing bye.

Hats off to the people who obviously planned out a great video security system!

The tornado literally sucked the colour right out of the camera?!?

Hope very much those impacted by this terrible event are all fine!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow...and right at :59 a big explosion on right side of screen due to maybe power lines crossing or a transforming blowing up .
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Over the years we see TWC and CNN weather people on the ground, wearing hoodies, leaning into the wind, debris flying by...I've always figured one day one of them would have their head sliced off at the neck by some building or sign sheet metal flying by.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow...and right at :59 a big explosion on right side of screen due to maybe power lines crossing or a transforming blowing up .
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Over the years we see TWC and CNN weather people on the ground, wearing hoodies, leaning into the wind, debris flying by...I've always figured one day one of them would have their head sliced off at the neck by some building or sign sheet metal
Have to agree as it relates to seeing news crew in the thick of it. There was one incident I recall (fuzzy memory) where a person was reporting the American weather news and was struck by exactly what you described.

They were standing in the middle of a street and one of the building signs blew off and hit them dead on.

The plastic facial of the sign had to be easily 4’ x 8’ in size.

Like you said, they were very lucky it hit them on the flat portion vs coming at them edge / length wise. Would have easily cut them in half!

Here is a collection of the same tornado event in KS.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have to agree as it relates to seeing news crew in the thick of it. There was one incident I recall (fuzzy memory) where a person was reporting the American weather news and was struck by exactly what you described.

They were standing in the middle of a street and one of the building signs blew off and hit them dead on.

The plastic facial of the sign had to be easily 4’ x 8’ in size.

Like you said, they were very lucky it hit them on the flat portion vs coming at them edge / length wise. Would have easily cut them in half!

Here is a collection of the same tornado event in KS.

Wow.
I just wish people would hold their $%^& phones horizontally when doing this. After all, your TV at home isn't 9:16 aspect ratio, it's 16:9 !
I am grateful, however, that the editor didn't use those animated foggy pillar bars on both sides. That causes me to fall off my bar stool. :rofl:

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
This has to be one of the best multi view image captures of a tornado coming through from a single site. The multiple angles, clear shots, and incredible video quality from start to end is amazing.

As the comments noted in that video the power of Mother Nature is truly to be reckoned with. Moving a car like it was a piece of tissue on the ground?

The importance of staying away from Windows and doors as the flying debris is literally millions of bullets wizzing bye.

Hats off to the people who obviously planned out a great video security system!

The tornado literally sucked the colour right out of the camera?!?

Hope very much those impacted by this terrible event are all fine!

At the 2 minute mark there is a vehicle parked close to a light pole. I was thinking that if I was in that vehicle, I might think about getting out and trying to wrap myself around that light pole, but then the light pole breaks apart and the vehicle goes flying at the same time! LOL :screwy:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for posting! Holy crap that's amazing. And hats off to whoever built that playground..wow! I grew up in the panhandle of Texas...very familiar with tornadoes and tornado drills.
I won’t lie, honestly thought that entire play structure was going to lift off and disappear like the light pole and car!

Also agree whoever built that play structure knows what they are doing and did a fantastic job.

Can’t imagine something like that flying through the air and hitting someone.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
At the 2 minute mark there is a vehicle parked close to a light pole. I was thinking that if I was in that vehicle, I might think about getting out and trying to wrap myself around that light pole, but then the light pole breaks apart and the vehicle goes flying at the same time! LOL :screwy:
I didn’t know what to expect but thought the light pole would be OK. Than, poof it’s gone along with the car??