eSATA HD Keystone Coupler Source?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for a eSATA high density keystone coupler?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
noooooooo

your hdd's need to be plugged directly into your computer, dont add a bunch of couplers into the mix just for the sake of neatness.. ideally they should be internal, but if your going with external, just wire em up directly.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear that, Why??

The access to these ports along with some other types are at the rear of the equipment. If I should need them at some time in the future, it will be a messy process to get the enclosure off the wall. unbolt the rack shelves, and maybe have to unstrap the components and rewire. Much easier if I have these ports wired to the front at the panel. Most of the port types ARE available as high density keystones. I.e HDMI, USB3a and USB3b, etc. Some other types like the display ports would require a custom panel, so I may just attach the patch cables and bring them to the front without an attachment to the panel, but laid on a shelf where they are still easily accessible.

Once the rack enclosure is up high on the tractor bay wall, I don't want to bring it down, and it will be difficult to work on the equipment from a latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have you even ensured that lil pc you have can even handle your system load? and if so.. well then duct tape the hdd to the nvr and no need to unplug it when you remove it :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maximum cable length for esata is 2m. Why would anyone ever need an esata keystone.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you think you will need access to the port in the back, just plug a cable in and run it to the front of the box. You need the cable to connect a drive anyway. Or they make drive bays with extra ports in them, eSATA, USB 2 or 3, etc. Just make sure your motherboard has headers for the connectors you want.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you even ensured that lil pc you have can even handle your system load? and if so.. well then duct tape the hdd to the nvr and no need to unplug it when you remove it :)
That's a new application for duct tape.

I will not have a NVR. The lil PC [http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m900/] is going to have to do the job with BI.

Eight high definition cams @ 5mp each, 15fps, running intermittently on motion sensors will be a piece of cake for lil PC, and the 4T external HD (WD Purple), will store months of data via USB3 connection @ up to 5G/sec.

I don't get robbed every day, so mostly what I expect to be recorded will be my farm hands going in and out of the buildings every day. When work is at a set time of day I can block recording of data for that time interval. I have never been robed when someone was on the farm.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you think you will need access to the port in the back, just plug a cable in and run it to the front of the box. You need the cable to connect a drive anyway. Or they make drive bays with extra ports in them, eSATA, USB 2 or 3, etc. Just make sure your motherboard has headers for the connectors you want.
Yup - Last resort

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't neglect recording while people are there. You'll want the records someday, trust me, even if it just to figure out where you put down that impact wrench you're looking for or whatever. You might even find someone topping up their diesel pickup from the bulk tank or have to figure out who hit who first if the hands get into a disagreement. Who borrowed the booster cables and didn't bring them back? Stuff happens. Record it. Drop your framerates down some more if you need more recorded time.