Escam QD520 mountain of problems, SMTP and FTP problems

6ot4hr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello people,
Some time ago I bought two Escam QD520 ip cameras in order to monitor my backyard at my house. Everything worked fine for 3 months (sending Emails on detection / FTP upload on detection), but suddenly it stopped. Cams cannot connect to none of SMTP server (gmail, yahoo, net.hr, any...) and FTP upload of motion detection sometime worked, sometime it uploaded a blank jpeg picture. Accessing Cams using Web interface works with no problems.

Does anyone have sympthoms like that with their QD520?

Anyhow, I contacted the manufacturer and in simple ENGRISH they said " yes yes we aware of problem, we fix it in few days", well more than few days passed - they haven't fixed it yet. I had some free time so i fired up a Wireshark and sniffed my network traffic in order to determine whats going on. I hope some of you can shine some light or lead me in the right direction :)

Gmail server / cam communication:
bad cert.png
POP3 server:
ddk pop3.png
IMAP server:
ddk imap.png

Basically, Camera does initiate some communication between Email servers but it doesn't authenticate and send mail. In Gmail there is BAD CERTIFICATE error in comunication, and on other POP3/IMAP there is just HELLO server / client welcome.

Other problem is FTP upload:
I have local FTP storage set on the same network, sometimes jpeg files are uploaded okay, sometimes blank, sometimes partially

FTP.png

Hex view of uncomplete image:
jgp stream.png

Hex view of empty image: (no header, no data)
headers.png

Camera firmware version is: V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1407 any ideas how to resolve the problem?

Cameras have Telnet enabled, I also have dumped firmware with all filesystem files if that helps :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the status quo for a lot of chinese products to me. LOL. For example I have one of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPR-NH100P-H-265-HDMI-Encoder-for-IPTV-max-input-output-1080P-60fps-HDMI-Video-Encoder/32469126347.html and when I feed it a 1080i signal through hdmi, then the h.264 and h.265 encoded video bobs up and down by one pixel and is extremely annoying. I told them about the problem a month ago and the guy says they are aware of the problem. As of yesterday, still not fixed. It is kind of a big deal since most broadcast television in the USA is 1080i and I can't use this $400 device for its intended purpose until they fix it.