Ethernet in PVC conduit

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am still trying to get good face captures with a backlit subject. If they come to the door and stall, it's fine. If they were to come up, grab a package, and run it might be hit/miss.

The 5mp wedge next to the front door.

View attachment 157274
Just wondering about the hit or miss aspect. Is it because of a lower frames per second or something else?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wondering about the hit or miss aspect. Is it because of a lower frames per second or something else?
Because of the back lighting behind the subject I need to run some WDR to help "fix" the image. This can take some time to process and may not be able to do its thing fast enough depending on how quick the person is on and back off of my porch.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At some point, if you try to plan for every possible scenario, you might as well build a house out of concrete and encase everything in steel. There are some pretty bad installs in one of the threads on here. Any sort of conduit will be a step up from those. :rofl:
Sounds like a fantastic house to me!
That said, I've put all my cabling in conduit from the get go, for the simple reason of it's a cheap way to make the cables much more secure from tampering. What I'd add is, if you're deciding between two sizes of conduit, get one size up from the larger you're considering. Or you'll wind up with parallel conduits like I have.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW...
National Electrical Code (NEC) specifications are:
  • One wire: maximum fill is 53% of the space inside a conduit
  • Two wires: maximum fill is 31%
  • Three wires or more: maximum fill is 40% of the conduit’s total available space

Attachments

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW...
National Electrical Code (NEC) specifications are:
  • One wire: maximum fill is 53% of the space inside a conduit
  • Two wires: maximum fill is 31%
  • Three wires or more: maximum fill is 40% of the conduit’s total available space
Does that apply to low voltage ethernet? Each POE run consumes perhaps 20 watts.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Building a new house, having the contractor run glued PVC pipes from a wiring closet out to every camera location (and a backup NVR in the detached garage). Most of the wiring will be inside the attic, just a couple of runs going a few meters underground.

I plan to use indoor cat5e. I hope that's okay 'cause I've done so much work over the years with outdoor Ethernet that I really hate the stiffness of it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
A corollary of Murphy's Law is that any buried conduit will fill with water. That said, I think that PVC jacketed non-outdoor network wire is just as waterproof as outdoor rated ethernet cable, and have a couple thousand feet of it in water-filled conduit. Some think I'm factually incorrect and/or crazy. Your decision, and YMMV. The only problem I've seen with non-outdoor cable outside is when it's exposed to sunlight. After a few years, the outer jacket can turn to dust. The outdoor rated cable is generally more resistant to physical damage from shovels, rodents, etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That said, I think that PVC jacketed non-outdoor network wire is just as waterproof as outdoor rated ethernet cable, and have a couple thousand feet of it in water-filled conduit.
I would agree.

I think the biggest advantage to a flooded-burial or direct-burial rated jacket, usually HDPE, is it very durable and resistant to scrapes and cuts when being installed that, with a softer, less durable jacket, would possibly allow water incursion. If those outer jacket cuts were deep enough then they may also affect the individual conductors beneath the jacket. Essentially the flooded-burial or direct-burial rated jacket allows rougher handling/installing.

That being said, if no such cuts or abrasions were made in the outer PVC jacket of say, a CMR-rated jacket, it would likely last many, MANY years in the water-filled conduit. We used to get damage from contractors, sign installers, landscapers, homeowners, tree roots and squirrels long before the jacket had a chance to fail any way! :cool: