Evaluation of DS-2CD63C5G0E-IVS for my application.

edan

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for information on:

HIKVISION DS-2CD63C5G0E-IVS 12MP Panoramic 360° View Outdoor Network Fisheye Camera with 2mm Lens, Built-in Heater, Built-in Speaker and Two Built-in Microphones.

Amazon has the “Hikvision original US version” for $899. B&H has it for $679.95 but does not specify the version.

The application is 270 degree corners against a light gray background. Two cameras will be 8’ – 8” above ground and a third camera will be 16’ – 0” above ground. All cameras will be 1’ – 11” diagonally from the corners under an overhang. The cabling will be inside the structure for two cameras and along the inside edge of a two foot overhang until entering the structure for a third camera. None of the cameras will be in direct sunlight. Operating temperatures from -30 degrees F to 110 degrees F. Humidity from 20% to 100%.

Observation required 70’. Identification 23’. At night the two cameras at 8’ have good street lighting. The camera at 16’ will be in the dark if no motion sensor is tripped.

The cameras will be configured on an air-gapped laptop and deployed on a subnet isolated by a router which prohibits access the the internet for the attached cameras by blocking their MAC addresses.

Any help you can give on the appropriateness of this camera for this application would be appreciated.

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera specification says 12MP but highest resolution is only 3072 × 2048, which is only 6MP. And it's 4:3 ratio, based on these information, I guess the CMOS they use is Sony IMX178, which is about 8 years old

I think fisheye cameras are only for indoor usage, with very limited viewable area, like an elevator. Too little useful information can be viewed when installed outdoor.

Use a 2.8mm turret camera instead, or two 4mm if not enough

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amazon description says resolution is 4000 x 3000, then the CMOS should be Sony IMX226, same old as IMX178. I have an Univew IPC868ER-VF18, bought for only $20 brand new. It has exactly the same specification with the Hikvision one. IMX226 4000x3000@20FPS, 3 built-in mic and 3 built-in speakers, SoC is Hisilicon Hi3519V101. If you insistend using a fisheye camera, you can choose Uniview, it's much cheaper

But I still don't recommend a fisheye camera, strongly. Little useful detail can be viewed, price is too much higher, actually I'm shocked at the price they are selling it for, with $899, you can buy 4 newest 4K turret cameras with big 1/1.2" sensors