Event playback error in iVMS-4200 v2.6.1.2: HCNetSDK.dll(23) not supported

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with playing back Intrusion Detection recorded events from a Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS camera from iVMS-4200 client application. Currently, the Hikvision camera is recording to the Windows Server 2016 computer via the Storage Server application that comes with the iVMS download package.

When I playback video that has been recording on an "All-day" schedule, the iVMS-4200 client allows me to view the playback just fine.

The problem is introduced when I switch the "Recording" template to "Event". When I do that, I allow the camera to capture events using the Intrusion Detection settings it has configured on it. Then, when I try to playback "Event" recordings from the iVMS software, it gives me the following error:
Code:
HCNetSDK.dll(23) not supported
And results in no recorded event video files being presented to iVMS.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a solution for it? I want to figure out how I can get event-playback working in iVMS.

Thanks in advance.

Towawi

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I had this issue. The problem is you need a "Smart Device" with VCA capability to take advantage of that feature. Storage Server does not fill this role. A Hikvision NVR would work, or a Hikvision camera from this group of cameras would work also.
You'll soon notice a lot of other features in iVMS wont be working also. Like "timeline tagging", "VCA search" etc.

Reaction score
Yes I had this issue. The problem is you need a "Smart Device" with VCA capability to take advantage of that feature. Storage Server does not fill this role. A Hikvision NVR would work, or a Hikvision camera from this group of cameras would work also.
You'll soon notice a lot of other features in iVMS wont be working also. Like "timeline tagging", "VCA search" etc.
Thanks for the reply. I had no idea that this camera didn't support the features nor did the PC storage server. I don't understand why they would limit the role of the PC storage server. Also, Hikvision support wasn't very knowledgable about this; they gave me an answer that completed avoided this question entirely.

I might end up going the Hikvision NVR route though.

Thanks for the information!

Towawi

n3wb
Reaction score
There are ways to emulate the "Event Playback" button without a VCA enabled NVR. One way is to continuously record to the storage server, but also record events to one of the cameras internal storage options such as "Net HDD" (which is just means NAS) for instance. This can even be on the same machine that is running Storage Server. You just need to create a share on a separate disk or partition.

The end result is when you go into the Remote Playback module, you will have a new overlay on the timeline showing events on top of the continuous recording. Then you type "events" into the search filter and you're presented with only event videos to play one after another.
I know its not ideal and it really is a shame Storage Server isnt more useful but this method really helped me overcome some of my biggest complaints with iVMS and my hardware.

The only thing I really want now is the ability to apply new VCA rules to already recorded video. Super powerful tool to have and unfortunately only available on a decent NVR. My brother in law has the Hikvision 7608P which ive had a play with and it definitely has some useful features that bring iVMS-4200 alive. But its not without its shortcomings either. Namely the router mode it implements which hides all connected cameras from your local network. Which is incredibly annoying since the NVR doesnt present some of the same options and settings as the cameras have. For some strange reason the pictures it sends in email attachments are horrid quality and theres no setting on the NVR to manage this. But if I had direct access to the cameras..... well you know.

Anyway good luck with your setup. hth