Experience with "extended" PoE? All cameras support it? Looking at using it for 20 plus cameras

Reaction score
I've got a site where we really want all the cables coming back to the main "Server" area. 100+ cameras, with 20ish that would be beyond the normal range for PoE. Likely would be using a DS-96128 w/ 4 DS-3E0326P-E/DS-3E1326P-E switches. Then using value 5mp IP cameras with HIK (H.265+). I see that the extended runs are limited to 10mbps, which we should be within that limit, even if we need to bump FPS or resolution a bit.

Any long term or other issues with this method?

Do all of HIK's IP cameras support this? I'm not seeing that listed on any cameras as a specific feature, more so on the NVR's and Switches.

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you should hire a professional. That said, design this right from the start; if you have runs that exceed the limit for PoE, deploy an extra PoE switch or two and connect the switches to one another with one or more high-speed Ethernet runs.

Nothing is more frustrating than things that don’t work right consistently, or things that can’t handle small changes because possible additional future headroom wasn’t accounted for, because someone tried to save a buck or two and implemented a solution that was Broken by Design.

Last edited:

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think in theory, any standard camera (non ptz) should work (motorised vari focal may have issues too) with the extended poe but I'd have to agree with Bink, especially if all of the far away cameras are in the same direction away from the main server room.

It's much more sensible to just reduce the cable runs to a manageable size and have 2 or more comms cabinets spread around the site. It also makes it much easier to install new cameras in future if there's a comms rack 50m away than 200m, or if they decide at some point to go for a camera where bandwidth might become an issue.

To be sure to be sure, get a big box of cat 5e or cat 6, pull out enough to leave 250m in the box (or whatever the range of the extended poe), rip the bottom of the box off and find the other end, stick an rj45 on each end and try to connect the camera to the switch.

Last edited: